Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Amp for under $650?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NJL, Nov 21, 2002.

1. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Here's a question:

Can I get a decent rig for under $650?

Head/Cabinet? Combo (ext. capability)? Doesn't matter. Either one is cool.

I play anything from Motown, Rock, Funk, Blues to Latin. I am looking for a punchy sound. I'm a finger style player, not a slapper.

I use a Jazz bass with a Sadowsky Pre so i go DI from the Pre on the floor.

What would you get with this budget (can't go over at all)?

2. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    You'd do better looking for used gear. Used amps, I've found, are usually not problematic, but cabs can be. You could score a Hartke HA3500 used and a new Avatar 410 for around that much money. Try eBay!

3. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    perhaps a peavey tnt or peavey combo 115.... i play the tnt and the sound is very variable... it has lows... and can bust out with the punchy sounds also... i think it is about 600$

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    thanks, i will do some searches on the peavey stuff

5. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
  6. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    ...and it would be significantly better than the Peavey, IMHO. Not to mention very scalable.

[edit: spelling]

7. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    hey you know i am gonna say swr head and peavey cabs! i had an ampeg\goliath sr rig i toured with and got the peaveys becausei liked the tone. good combo IMHO

8. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I use a GK 400IIIrb combo with a 12" speaker for gigs requiring non- ear splitting amounts of amplification. It has splendid tonal capabilities and is expandable. You can disconnect the speaker via a jack that runs out of the back of the amp to the cabinet and effectively use this combo as a head. you can also leave the speaker pugged in and add a cabinet. I do this often by adding a bag end with a 10" in it. The price is right around that $650 mark.:)

9. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    If you shop very carefully, you could get the Avatar 410 and a used Carvin R600. 600 watts through a 410 should be plenty good enough for gigging!

10. dearle

dearle

Nov 21, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    I have an Ampeg combo and it is the greatest amp I've yet to play off of. You can go for either the 50 watt or 100 watt combo for under $650 and both come with 5 different output syles ranging from flat to +-15Db. I hav ethe 50 watt combo and haven't had any regrets in getting it. They also have a kick back design so they can tilt back and circulate the sound.

11. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    is the 100watt the 115 model? What type of gigs do you do? are you able to hear yourself well?

i was looking at that today, the 210 ampeg combo and the genz-benz ml200

whatcha think?

12. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    How much power do you want? If you're gigging, I doubt you'll be satisfied with less than 250 watts. Also, the more speakers you have, the louder and fuller your sound will be. It looks like you are interested in little combos. Those will probably not cut it at a gig...

13. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i just want to start to be able to hear my self a little better. i have been fortunate to not have to work with a group that doesn't PA or a venue that doesn't have a PA.

do i really need more than 250 watts?

14. dearle

dearle

Nov 21, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    If you play anywhere where they can mic the amps then you will be fine with something under 250 watts. I once played my 50 watt amp in my old high school auditorium, which was about the size of a movie theatre and had no problem with projecting the sound throughout (and that was without the mic).

15. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    If what you are doing is pretty low-volume, you will be okay with one of the aformentioned combos, but if you find yourself without P.A. support, you may wish you had something a little bigger. I play in a very loud band and for me, it is a must to have lots of power/speakers. YMMV:)