1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Amp Gas: Ampeg PF-50T or Aguilar TH500?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rev. Cornelius, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Rev. Cornelius

Rev. Cornelius

Jan 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I am gassing for a new amp. The choices I have narrowed it down to are the PF-50 T or the TH500.

Both have their advantages for my use. I do more recording at home and IEM/headphone rehearsals than live playing. I have a THDI, OmniCabSim Deluxe, Demeter HBP-1, QSC PLX 1602, and an F212. So I am thinking the PF-50T may be the more useful item.

I play a P with flats, Jazz with rounds, and a fretless in a variety of musical styles.

What's your thinking?

Thanks

2. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

If your primary use will be home recording then yeah the PF-50T.

The Bass Clef likes this.
  3. Rev. Cornelius

Rev. Cornelius

Jan 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    That's what I am thinking. I can also run it to the QSC to the F212 if needed.

4. gottliver

gottliver

Dec 20, 2004
    PF50. I've played one a few times during rehearsals, such a nice sounding amp.

5. Rev. Cornelius

Rev. Cornelius

Jan 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Ok, enough is enough. PF-50T ordered!

Thanks

JimmyM, Mastermold and The Bass Clef like this.
  6. Rev. Cornelius

Rev. Cornelius

Jan 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I also want to try running it direct to my QSC K12.2. That should be interesting.

7. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Do let us know how that goes, particularly if you use that setup in a gigging situation. Pairing up a PF-50/20T with a power amp has been something that I've been curious about for some time now.

I probably won't ever get up the nerve to try and actually assemble that type of setup, but the thought of one keeps nagging me.

8. justbass57

justbass57 Supporting Member

I have both, you'd be surprised how much volume the 50T puts out. I just played an outside jam with too many guitars, 2 drummers and a saxophone and 60 to 100 people. This was through an Baer ML12 pointing forward and a BagEnd 15 aimed at one of the drummers, and it wasn't even close to being max'ed out.
    I also should add I was playing through Josh Broughton's low/high pass filter as well,and my G&L L-2500 in passive mode.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm a fan of the PF-50T too, believe it or not :D

mbelue and ezra1 like this.
  10. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Bingo!!!!

Wise(b)ass

11. Rev. Cornelius

Rev. Cornelius

Jan 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Really Jimmy, who would have thought!;)

JimmyM likes this.
  12. kpc

kpc

Apr 6, 2011
    The PF-50T and a 210av cab would be nice.

mbelue and JimmyM like this.
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Indeed it is!

14. Rev. Cornelius

Rev. Cornelius

Jan 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I can't wait to try it through my F212. Or my QSC K12.2. Or through my Focusrite. Or.....

15. Rev. Cornelius

Rev. Cornelius

Jan 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    @JimmyM , which of the current PF cabs sound to you most like a vintage DB cab?

Thanks

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    The PF210he and PF112hlf.

17. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    I have a 210 Micro Cabinet which came with the Micro VR. Does the PF50 sit perfectly on top of the Micro 210 Cabinet like the Micro VR Amp does.If it does I might invest in a PF50.

Son of Wobble likes this.
  18. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    The PF20 sits perfectly on the cabinet. The PF50 hangs over a bit.

Take note: The width of the PF50 was actually understated in the manual. There's a thread
    on TB somewhere where someone brings it to @JimmyM's attention, and he promised to pass
    the misprint along to Ampeg. Not sure if it was ever corrected.

PF50:

IMG_20160926_145600349 (4).

PF20:

zcYQlx.

Mastermold and Briton like this.
  19. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    Thanks for that reply and also the images Buddy!
    How does it sound through the 210, and also Direct into an audio interface using the Transformer line out?

Son of Wobble likes this.
  20. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Both the 20 and the 50 are highly regarded as recording amps, in part because of the output options.

There is more than one player on TB who has spoken of maintaining both amps, the 50 for cabinet amplification and the 20 for recording (because the latter is sometimes said to win the tone-contest by a hair). Both amps can record without a load (i.e., without a cabinet attached), a relative rarity with tube amps.

Briton likes this.