Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New amp. Gibson GB440.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Jan 28, 2005.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Just got this head. It´s just like the Thunderfunk and the AMP420 with a few exeptions. It is really powerful with my two homemade 1x12" cabs and the sound is really warm, punchy and growly. The timbre and enhance controls can get me my sound and much more in seconds and the semi parametic Eq is really powerful.
    Mine is in great shape and I got it at half the price of a new Thunderfunk. Only problem is the last owner cut holes in the case at the top to make for better cooling. It is mounted in a rack case so it´s not a cosmetic problem. But how does this affect the cooling as I understand the aluminum casing was ment to work as a heatsink. Can I fit a blank aluminum plate on top of the old drilled top plate or should I just leave it?

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i would ask dave funk directly about that
    congrats on the score!

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I doubt adding the "beer intake vents" will make cooling any worse.

Obviously the original owner had no clue that the case being warm is a good thing (meaning it's doing it's job as a heat sink). On one of my A.M.P. heads, some guy had mounted an EXTERNAL squirrel fan...stupid, stupid....

I've never had thermal issues with my heads even outdoors on hot summer days, besides there is a thermal protection circuit which keeps the amp running at reduced power rather than shutting it off.

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    That´s good to know. Thanks!