New amp: H&K BassBase or GK rb1001?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JamieFloate, Sep 24, 2018.

1. JamieFloate

JamieFloate Guest

May 24, 2018
    hi,
    After a bit of advice on replacing my sadly defunct Bugera Nuke bass amp.
    I’ve got the possibility of picking up either a Hughes and Kettner Bassbase 600 or a Gallien Krueger rb1001, there’s about £100 difference between them, there is also the fact that one is very close to me and can be tried out at my practice space, the other one not.
    I’m after a solid old school SS amp, no class D stuff, with lots of headroom and a mainly clean tone as I run a darkglass vintage microtubes in the front end.
    The HK looks awesome, and very versatile, 650watts into 4ohms which I’ll be running with my 6x10. Semi parametric eq, 2 channel, goes to 2 ohms with bi-amp capability. Downside is it’s discontinued and there aren’t many reviews online.
    GK also looks great, the one close to me has been serviced and I think 3 pots feel like they have been changed as they don’t have the nice resistance that the rest of them do. Looks like 700watts to 4ohm, also bi amp, but it’s GK’s own horn bi amp system, so not the same as a full bi amp.
    I’m guessing both amps are top quality, made in Germany and the USA respectively, I think the HK had the higher original listing price, but I imagine both are solid amps.
    I’m just posting to see if anyone has used both before, or even can weigh in on the qualities of whichever depending on what you’ve used. The comments may make me choose one over the other!
    Main thing I’m after is a solid base with lots of headroom and decent EQ (my VMT has no eq!).
    So... HK or GK, what do you think?
    Cheers all!

2. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I've played both. They're both great amps but I'll give the nod to GK. Is seemingly louder and punchier.

But I play class D these days and it blows both out of the water in a similar shelp. If the price is great go for it. Otherwise I'd rather plug straight into a Prolite 3.0 with the darkglass.

Crest doesn't look widely available used in the UK. What price are you looking at for the GK?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  3. JamieFloate

JamieFloate Guest

May 24, 2018
    Thanks for the reply man! The GK is £375 which is pretty good, the HK is £290. I can try out the GK as it’s at a local shop, I guess that’s the next thing to do...

4. JamieFloate

JamieFloate Guest

May 24, 2018
    The crests don’t seem to be around much over here, I’m not sure I could run my VMT straight in as there’s no real eq (it’s not the deluxe model), maybe using a digital preamp model from my zoom b3, but kinda wanted to keep things analogue... thanks for the tip tho!

5. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I use VMT with GK 2001RB, which is similar, only even more headroom and power. It sounds FANTASTIC. I tried several big SS amps and GK are my favorite in terms of punch, power and tone.

6. JamieFloate

JamieFloate Guest

May 24, 2018
    thanks for the input, seems like the GK gets lots of love around here.

the H&K has now gone anyway... looks like the GK is in prime position!

mouthmw likes this.
  7. JamieFloate

JamieFloate Guest

May 24, 2018
    Well, a mate of mine gave me his old broken peavey tour 450, I got it fixed for £50, with the vintage microtubes in front, going into a Kustom 610 cab it sounds great!!! I guess the GK will have to wait... until I get my ampeg 610hlf fixed, then maybe I’ll run both 610s!!!!