1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Amp Head and Cab Decision

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Godinho_EURO6LX, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Godinho_EURO6LX

Godinho_EURO6LX

Jan 22, 2012
    Bahrain
    Hey Guys.

Im Deciding on Buying a New Amp in Couple of Months and had a few Amps in Mind as Listed Below,

I play Death Metal but im Also looking for an Amp Which has a Great Tone for Any Genre.

The Amps i have in Mind are
    1) Orange Terror Bass 500 with 2 x 12 Cab
    2) Ampeg PF 500
    3) EBS Reidmar

As you see my budget is within 500$ for the Head,

Shoot out your Opinions and Suggestions.

2. First and Foremost it Is important To Note that your Cab is just As if Not more Important than The Amp in Reference to your Tone. What are You using right Now for An Amp and Cab? Depending on What You have right Now It may Make more sense to Buy a New Cab first.

My Thoughts on the Three Amps you listed:

The TB500 is a decent Amp, but for an Extra $100 or What ever it is I Would go with the TB1000. Also It might be The Bee's Knees for Metal, but for My Tastes it Is Kind of a One trick pony As Far as Tone Goes.

The PF-500 Is also A great Amp. IMHO It is Much more Versatile than The Terror Bass heads. I Have One, I Would recommend Trying One out to Anyone.

The EBS might hit All your Needs Tonally, But i Know what Kind of Scene You are Playing in and You will Be Out Growing that Head'S Power limits Quickly.

You Have mentioned Your Budget for an Amp, Any plans On What you want to Spend on a Cab yet?

3. Godinho_EURO6LX

Godinho_EURO6LX

Jan 22, 2012
    Bahrain
    Ok ..I have Decided to go with the Terror Bass 500 for the Amp Head. As my Local Store here are Agents and they can get me a gud deal on it..Previously i owned an EDEN 200 Watt Combo with 1 x 15 Speaker. I sold it off as i didnt like too Much Low End in the Tone.

I Prefer a More Mid Ranged and High End Sound from the Speakers.

Currently i Use an Eden 200 Watt Head which i bought 2nd Hand with 2 1 x 10 Kustom Speakers from a PA system i had and a 1 x 15 Eden Cab which i was handed for free ...So i just use the 3 of them togther ..the Sound i get is Alright in the Mix with the Drums and Distorted Guitars..but i still need my tone to cut thru some More..

Im goin to buy the Terror Bass 500 Head.. Now i need a Good Cab for it with 600-800 watts of power and preferably a 2 x 10 or 4 x 10 Cab

4. Godinho_EURO6LX

Godinho_EURO6LX

Jan 22, 2012
    Bahrain
    lookin to Spend around 65O$ on a Cab

5. GRoberts

GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Not sure I entirely agree that the Terror TB500 is a one trick pony/one sound amp. I demo'd the amp tonight and played a bunch of current Pop/Top40 material and ran the range from Jesse J, Katy Perry, Pink, Kelly Clarkson, Maroon 5, Bruno Mars, to Sting, and classic dance band material. The Orange sounded great. Punchy, fat, old school, good presence, highs and massively punchy low end. Very impressed.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Metal = loud, and if you weren't aware, it's not wattage that gets you loud, it's the spkrs. Between a 210 and a 410, the 410 will provide almost double the volume. Something to consider. If it were me, I'd go no smaller than a 410, 212, 215, etc, but bigger is better, (louder), so 610, 810, 412, etc. Good luck.