Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New amp...help me decide.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bazzanderson, Aug 8, 2005.

1. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Ok....about to pull the trigger on a new amp. Below are my choices. I know these threads are annoying but I need some help. Fingerstyle rock...through a 2X15" Peavey with black widows. The cab is 4ohms...not sure of the wattage. So far I'm kinda leaning toward the B4R. I love the look of the SVT-1000 but if it can come in a smaller package...I'd prefer to go with that. Any advise is appreciated. Btw...this new amp will be relacing a Behringer BX3000T so I'm sure all of the below choice are great choices over what I currently own.
    Thx,
    -Bazz-

Fender Bassman 800
    Fender Bassman 1200
    Ampeg B4R
    Ampeg SVT-1000
    Kustom Groove Bass 1200

2. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    wow....no one? I really do need some help.

-Bazz-

3. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I own a Kustom GrooveBass 1200 and as a result, I can honestly say that this amp will give you all the power (1200 watts into 2 ohms !!!) and tone that you could possibly want. Even though it's a solid state amp, you can dial in incredible warmth...all this for about $500-$600. :hyper:

No doubt, it's the best bang for the buck out there right now.

Have you done searches for GrooveBass threads in the Amps forum? You'll find TON's of positive responses....well deserved responses, I might add.

4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

+1,000,000!

5. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks guys. Yeah....I've read glowing reviews regarding the Groovebass but have been wary because it almost seems too good to be true.

-Bazz-

6. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I thought the same thing.. but thanks to glowing testimonials from Quadzilla (whom you just met), jp1994, and Sutton, I joined the klub.... very thankful I did and now I'm spreading the word!!!!

7. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Well, sh*t! Something came up and sucked all but $250.00 of my funds! What I need is more headroom and a little more volume to compete with my two 1/2 stack Marshall players. Now I'll just have to get an inexpensive power amp (probably the EP1500...I know, I know) and run my BX3000T through it until I can save enough to get either an RBI or a SVPCL preamp.

Thanks for all of your input. The Groovebass was where I was heading after your comments, but oh well.

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    The Fender Bassman 1200 is a KILLER amp. (It's a rebranded Sunn 1200). Of your choices, I'd go with that one in a heartbeat. Another one to consider would be the GK1001RBII. It is MUCH more
    versatile than the older GK's, and is capable of a fine vintage sound, with a little e.q. and cranking up the boost function.