New amp...help me decide.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bazzanderson, Aug 8, 2005.

1. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Ok....about to pull the trigger on a new amp. Below are my choices. I know these threads are annoying but I need some help. Fingerstyle rock...through a 2X15" Peavey with black widows. The cab is 4ohms...not sure of the wattage. So far I'm kinda leaning toward the B4R. I love the look of the SVT-1000 but if it can come in a smaller package...I'd prefer to go with that. Any advise is appreciated. Btw...this new amp will be relacing a Behringer BX3000T so I'm sure all of the below choice are great choices over what I currently own.
    Thx,
    -Bazz-

Fender Bassman 800
    Fender Bassman 1200
    Ampeg B4R
    Ampeg SVT-1000
    Kustom Groove Bass 1200

2. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    wow....no one? I really do need some help.

-Bazz-

3. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    I own a Kustom GrooveBass 1200 and as a result, I can honestly say that this amp will give you all the power (1200 watts into 2 ohms !!!) and tone that you could possibly want. Even though it's a solid state amp, you can dial in incredible warmth...all this for about $500-$600. :hyper:

No doubt, it's the best bang for the buck out there right now.

Have you done searches for GrooveBass threads in the Amps forum? You'll find TON's of positive responses....well deserved responses, I might add.

4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

+1,000,000!

5. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks guys. Yeah....I've read glowing reviews regarding the Groovebass but have been wary because it almost seems too good to be true.

-Bazz-

6. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    I thought the same thing.. but thanks to glowing testimonials from Quadzilla (whom you just met), jp1994, and Sutton, I joined the klub.... very thankful I did and now I'm spreading the word!!!!

7. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Well, sh*t! Something came up and sucked all but $250.00 of my funds! What I need is more headroom and a little more volume to compete with my two 1/2 stack Marshall players. Now I'll just have to get an inexpensive power amp (probably the EP1500...I know, I know) and run my BX3000T through it until I can save enough to get either an RBI or a SVPCL preamp.

Thanks for all of your input. The Groovebass was where I was heading after your comments, but oh well.

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    The Fender Bassman 1200 is a KILLER amp. (It's a rebranded Sunn 1200). Of your choices, I'd go with that one in a heartbeat. Another one to consider would be the GK1001RBII. It is MUCH more
    versatile than the older GK's, and is capable of a fine vintage sound, with a little e.q. and cranking up the boost function.