Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new amp HELP--please read

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basslax, Oct 10, 2000.

1. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    ok, im looking for a combo amp under 700 thats got lots of growl. Im looking at the Nemesis 112 and the Gallien Krueger 400RB/115 combo, but could use some suggestions(cus i dont know what they sould like, i just heard they were good). Again, i really need somthing with lots of growl on the bottom end.

thanks

2. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Lots of growl.HMMMMM.

I recently purchased an NC 112 and am impressed with the sound of the amp. The 12 produces a punchy rather than boomy bass response. Growl? I've always looked for basses that produce growl and an amp to reproduce it. So,in short, I guees you could say the Nemesis produces a nice growl. Enough for you? I don't know but it suits me just fine. I'm caught somewhere between a rich funk/rock sound while blending the pickups to create a fretless like "mwahh" tone. That's what I hear in my head. Try them both,if possible, bring your bass to play through them and make your call.

Hope that helps a bit. Remember, though, only you can decide what amp is right.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Growl is typically more a function of the bass than the amp. If your bass has that J like growl, a good amp should be able to reproduce it faithfully.

Some amps in your price range, for smooth, accurate hi-fi sound the SWR Workingman's 15 is a great deal, it's usually between $599 - $649, also, the Ampeg B100 is great, more of a raw tone than hifi, but a very loud amp. I've seen these as low as $479 on a blowout, but they're usually more like $499 - $549.

Both of these come with a 15, so they reproduce low fundamentals well, and they are both under $700.

The SWR is 160 watts(200 with an extension cabinet) and the Ampeg is 100 Watts(though everyone on the board who has one would swear it has more power than the SWR, they say it is much louder) but you can't hook a cabinet up to it.

4. thayer182

thayer182

Oct 1, 2000
    well my amp sux, but my friend has this cool bass amp from crate. it's about 100 watts, and costs about 350 to 400. I don't know the exact model. but it sounds really awesome. can't say that my amp is any good... it's like this lil hondo 40 watt piece of s***. I mean, if I turn it up all the way, I get distortion. but I'm gonna be getting a 140 watt hartk or however u spell it. it's got a 15" speaker. I'm sure that will have some growl to it:D