1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Amp help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by michinho, Oct 20, 2013.

1. michinho

michinho

Oct 11, 2013
    London, UK
    Hi there,

I'm not too good with amps and would really like some help.

Looking too get a new one that is either a combo or head, and smallish cab. Loud enough for playing local smallish/medium sized gigs would be ideal.

I currently have a 300 Watt Ashdown MAG EVO (i forget the model) and while it does its job. My basses do tend to sound quite flat and a bit lifeless.

I'm looking for something that will make my bass sound more defined but keeping all its characteristics. For example, making my p bass still sound like a p bass, my jazz as a jazz and my T-bird my T-bird.

I want something that provides deep solid lows (without sounding muddy) but clean crisp highs too.

I think a solid state amp might be cleaner, i'm getting a real tube preamp pedal soon, so I would have the option to make it growl. I just need recommendations within these parameters.

So... if anyone can help that would be fantastic.

Cheers,

Mike

2. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Two essential questions:
    Where are you?
    What's your budget?

3. michinho

michinho

Oct 11, 2013
    London, UK
    I'll give you that, two important points I missed!

I live in the UK, just outside London.

Price wise.. that is a little bit more difficult. If I can help I would like to stay nearer the £500 mark, but I am willing to fluctuate.

4. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    La Habra CA
    Is the amp that you are using, a combo?
    If yes, what size speakers and how many of them? Also, is there room to add an additional cab to your combo?
    If you don't have a combo, what cab do you have right now?

Based on what you're looking for, a good 4x10 usually gets the solid lows in the mix.

If you don't have a combo right now, try replacing your cab first with a 4x10. If you feel it's the amp that's not working out for you, research:

GK 700RBII
    Aguilar TH500
    Both these amps have growl and overdriven tones.

5. michinho

michinho

Oct 11, 2013
    London, UK
    Yes my amp is a combo

It's a 2x10

I can add an additional cab I believe

I think it may just be the amp. I need something "more" it sounds too flat, and sometimes quite muddy.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    New strings on your basses is where I'd start. Then, I'd take a look at how you're eq'ing the amp. It's not as easy as some think. Lastly, I'd look for a matching Ashdown 210 cab to add-on to the combo. This will give you a 6dB bump all around, and louder most certainly sounds better. It will also be within your budget.
    As to the eq, start fairly neutral- and avoid boosting the lowest band of frequencies. Good luck.

7. michinho

michinho

Oct 11, 2013
    London, UK
    Yeah I might look into that. Any other suggestions?

8. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If you're interested in hybrid amps, check out the hartke lh500. this bass head will provide you with solid lows and clear highs. another good choice would be a fender rumble 150.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    £500 pretty much guarantees you'll be buying solid state ;)