new amp help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Xanadu, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Xanadu

Jul 17, 2005
    hey , first post here , hi all.

I was wondering if you guys could help me out with my next purchse. Im kind of an intermediate bassit, ive been playing for a year, but i play pretty well for a year, so i consider my self intermediate, and cause of that , i dont need a ridiculos stack or anything, just a mid priced level combo. There were a few i was considering ..........

Fender Rumble
    Vox T 60
    Ampeg BA115
    GK Backline series

I got 430 to spend , and suggestions would be greatly aprecitated Thanks in advance!!!
  2. What are you planning on accomplishing? If you want an amp that's able to practice with a band, which, in my mind, is the next upgrade for ANY bassist after there first "bedroom" amp, then you're going to need something more. Plus, why spend any more money on a "bedroom" amp if you already have one?

You'll need (bare minimum) 100 watts and a 15 inch speaker.

The common combos that hit this requirement are

Fender Rumble 100
    Ampeg BA115
    Crate BT100
    Peavey TNT and TKO
    SWR LA15
    Yorkville Bassmaster XM200
    GK Backline 115

The favorites (from various opinions I've heard) are the Yorkville and the Peavey. The Peavey is heavy, no frills, reliable but only decent sounding combo. The Yorkville seems to have some rave reviews on the sound.

Some combos that exceed this are the 2x10's from Peavey (Bam), GK's 2x10 combo with assorted RB amps, Carvin's 2x10, and the Eden's Nemesis NC 210p.

With a quick used market check ( I found the Yorkville for $300

The Nemesis for $400

Some old Peavey TNT's $250

And some old Crate BX-100's(I think these are a pretty good deal)

For reviews, go to

And finally, look for a GK 2x10 with a 400rb for about $500.

Those will all get the job done, though some better than others. Good luck searching now!
  3. Xanadu

Jul 17, 2005
    Thanks! that defenitly helps! ill check the yorkville , and the peavey, and for some reason im drawn to the ampeg as well thanks gaain! :hyper:
  4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Why do you want to upgrade? Are you in a band? If not, then all you need is a very small (perhaps even a headphone amp or stereo would do) amp. Save up until you can get a really nice amp if you have no need for anything else.
  5. Xanadu

Jul 17, 2005
    i do ocassionally jam w/ my guitar plaer friend any my drummer, and i want something that can actually be heard , and have good tone, or well, better than i have now.
  6. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    yorkville!, Yorkville, yorkville!

(mike, sits back down in his chair...)
  7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Save up a couple hundred more and buy an amp and head. You'll be prepared already for your next "jump".

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    What are you upgrading from?
  9. Xanadu

Jul 17, 2005
    a little crate guitar practice amp lol