1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Amp Help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by logans59, Jul 19, 2012.

1. logans59

logans59

Jul 1, 2012
    Kennesaw, GA
    Hello everyone, I have been playing bass for about 5 years and, up until now, I have always played through a PA system at my church. I am looking to buy my first real amp (I have a dinky little practice one for at home) and am in need of some advice. I believe I want a tube amp from what I've read on here but I don't really know what to look for. I've heard good things about Ampeg SVT, Orange, and Marshall. Any comments would really help me out!

:help:

2. What is your budget? What sound characteristics do you like (other than the obvious tube reference)? Ampeg is classic tone, Orange a bit dirtier. There are many other brands out there also.

3. logans59

logans59

Jul 1, 2012
    Kennesaw, GA
    I'm just starting to look, I can save up as much as I need to get the one that I want.

As far as tone, I like a real smooth, mellow sound. I am also looking into getting a Hofner Club bass so I want something that will match well with that

4. I would try out a multitude of amps, but start with Ampeg. It sounds like they would fit the bill. Even their solid state Amps have a warmness to them,so I would not just limit your trials to tube amps. There are many Ampeg amp/cabs to choose from at every price point.

5. Cartoonist

Cartoonist

Feb 21, 2012
    Australia
    I too recommend Ampeg. I've just picked up a second hand SVT VR (which is the reissue - kind of - of the 70s era model). These amps sound incredible and are incredibly loud. The SVT is a classic.

I'm playing through a SWR Golight 4X10 which is an awesome cab if you need to lug it around and sounds great too. I'm sure the Ampeg purists will tell you only to get an Ampeg stack with your SVT but that's not practical for many people. If you need to lug your cab around and put it in the back of a car then the Golight is the best one to get.

The SVT VR itself, however, may not be that practical either:
    Dimensions (W x H x D inches): 24 x 11.5 x 12.75
    Weight: 85 pounds

So if you're after amazing tone and abundant volume, and can handle the physical size & weight of the thing then I recommend the Ampeg SVT VR. If you need something smaller then get something smaller; perhaps a smaller Ampeg but I haven't played them. But if you want warmth I recommend you stick with something full of tubes.

6. +1 to above. SVT-VR is one of the very best.
    However, if u are looking for classic, vintage tone in a lighter package, a Mesa Walkabout/Scout is a very nice option.