new amp kinda type thing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by funkopotimus, Feb 19, 2001.

1. ok, now i need your help, my parents have decided they will buy me an amp if i rejoin a church brass band. now i recently was impressed by the gallien-kreuger(sp?) anyways i'm thinkin one of the 400RB(240W) combo series dad priced these and said he would buy one, soooooooooooooo do you guys know anything about these, are they as nice as it seemed, should i look into a different amp?

please give advice, thanks a lot guys(and girls!)
  2. if at all possible, i recommend having your dad buy maybe a GK 400 watt head, and you spring for a cab yourself. otherwise, i guarantee you'll want to upgrade shortly. i have heard good things about GK though. flea uses them.
  3. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Does the combo have a speaker out jack? I had the GK RCB 200 and really liked it... it was just under powered. As long as you can expand on your speakers... that should be pretty cool.

How much does that amp cost? I would say that if you are going to spend $500 to $600 you might want to go used and grab the Carvin RC210 ... It's a great combo with lots of power and control. But if you are spending less, I would be the first to say that I really did like my old GKs sound.
  4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I thought Flea uses Mesa/Boogie amps. I'm pretty sure that's what his cabs are at least. Not sure about the heads though.
  5. FWIW Flea uses GK 800 RB heads, and as previously stated Mesa Boogie cabs. But as always, its best to try before you buy, maybe you dont like the sound of the GK's. Some say its a hard sound, and that is what Flea uses live.. but I cant imagine that its the only sound available.
  6. ok well this combo is 1300$, ummm, i dont know what to say to the other stuff, i really liked the huge rig they had there, it was a 1001 head and two massive speakers, anyways umm, i'm gonna see if i can find a link or anyhting to those amps, i'm stil not sure what to do...........
  7. JimmyThePlumberMan

Feb 4, 2001
    $1300 is WAAY to much for a combo!
  8. geesh, for $1300 you could buy yourself a whole rig.
  9. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    (Hey guys, he's from Canada! :) )
  10. Yeah, where $1300 is worth about $850. The exchange often works favorably, though. On a lot of stuff Canadian list is not much more (in equivalent dollars) than US list. That means some stuff is actually cheaper here when you factor the exchange in. Not gasoline though.... Funny story: I was in Bangor the other weekend, on the way back I stopped for breakfast at a truckstop in New Brunswick. I gave the waitress $20 to pay for it and got $22.50 back. I thought she'd made a mistake, but I had given her a US $20 without cluing in. I felt like I was getting a great deal:D:D
  11. hahahaha, us poor canadians with our crazy money, i think everything should cost the same and we should all use the same currency!!! that would make the world so much easier!!!!!!

so any suggestions? i'm thikin i should buy a cab and head seperate instead of a combo cause i think it would be easier to upgrade?