Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Amp! Mesa D-180 Tuber!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stevekim, Feb 16, 2003.

1. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    Sorry Basstriaxis, but this was too good to pass up!

:D

Picked this up this afternoon. I haven't had a chance to play with the band or really crank it up, but from testing it out in my bedroom it sounds really, really good. I got the D-180 plus road ready 1x15 for $400!! Even if i need to retube it, i figure i'll still end up ahead when all is said and done.

the amp sounds clear, full, and strong in channel 2 (the clean channel) and crunchy and overdriven in channel 1(the overdrive channel). it's actually not too heavy either, i can easily carry this thing up stairs no problem. this will probably change though once i get it in a rack case. wow, i'm totally excited. my first tube amp and i'm loving it!!

steve

2. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    here is another picture. can any bass 400 or 400+ users please give me suggested eq settings? where is flat on these amps anyways?

3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    $400!! Some guys have all the luck!

-robert

4. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    if it makes you feel any better i think i might need to retube it. it feeds back and sounds distorted when turned up high. i can't wait this thing when it's back up to spec.

5. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I'll bet it does not need a re-tube!! It's prolly the single coil pups on that jazz in a small room...
    Oh, and Steve, please clean that cab port with Pledge....:rolleyes: :bassist:

6. And make your bed! :p

7. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    LOL

okay mom!

:spit:

8. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    if it's like my 400+ the eq is very responsive and subtle. i'm always messing with it in my room finding "the sound" then when i get to practice i'll start reaching over and adding subtracting things really quick from the eq to make it sounds better in the mix and it always turns up flat. so yeah, they're great "plug and play" amps. i don't engage any pull switches on mine because it just sounds too bright to me but just mess with it. great buy.

9. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    You got yourself a classic, there Bro.
    Congratulations & hold onto that.
    The D-180 preceeded the 400 which preceeded the 400+.
    My main rig for larger rooms is the Mesa Buster 2x10 Wedge Combo w/ a Diesel 15 cabinet added.
    I believe the Buster has essentially the same tube circuit design as the D-180/400: (6) 6GL6C 's & (3) 12AX7A's.
    Despite the weight & bulk of my Wedge combo, I would not even THINK of using a solid-state or hybrid rig. The maintenance of a tube amp can be a pain in the butt, with microphonics, harmonics, etc, from the tubes. & re-tubing is not exactly cheap- You must use Mesa's tubes (for warranty) and they must be replaced in corresponding pairs
    (push-pull)- Compared to my G-K, it's a hasssle-
    BUT- there is nothing that sounds as full & dark as an all-tube circuit-nothing has a much headroom
    or tone.
    Your EQ-I found that the tone controls as well as the Graphic EQ are extremely sensitive, so when tweaking, even the slightest turn of the knobs changes the color-So just go easy & you can dial in the right sound-At least your knobs are numbered!
    Great amp; great RR cab- Great rig,

10. mthoople

mthoople

Nov 1, 2001
    Denver, CO
    stevekim,

These (and the 400 and 400+) use a Fender tone stack. Flat is Mids at 10 (cut only), Treble at 0 (boost only), Bass between 0 and 1 (essentially boost only), and all pull-switches off. The center frequency of the mid-cut shifts due to interaction with the bass and treble controls. Bass Shift is a low end boost, and Treble Shift moves the treble control frequency toward the high-mids.

Matt

11. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Aw, man! I just found this thread. I guess I'm a little late here, but congrats! That's a great head. But I'm going to have to top you in the "you're going to hate me because I got such a great deal" department. I just scored a NOS Mesa Buster head for, get this... $275!!! Full warranty and everything. GC had one left over that had somehow been passed up by many a fool until I snatched it up. Wee!!!

This puts my Boogie collection up to 500 lbs. Any contenders?

12. mthoople

mthoople

Nov 1, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Nice score Triaxis! One of the local shops has a NOS Buster 2x10 Wedge combo for $600 with full warrantee. It weighs a ton, but at least it has the pull-out handle and wheels!

If I didn't already have too much stuff (with a 400+ on the way as well!), I'd pick it up just to have a combo. But alas....

13. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    i've seen your rig basstriaxis and i think you probably take the title of mesa king

14. Dan Lenard

Dan Lenard Banned

Mar 8, 2002
    I just picked up D-180 for $400, and I am thrilled with this head.

Call Mesa - they will send you a small manual for free.

You done good !!