New Amp Month (Genzler & EBS)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wicked G, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    This last month has been pretty good for me. I purchased a Genzler Magellan 800 several weeks back and just received an EBS Reidmar 750 last week. Pics or it didn't happen, so:
    IMAG0325.jpg IMAG0329.jpg IMAG0330.jpg IMAG0332.jpg

Since there is a ton if information on the Magellan and hardly anything on the Reidmar, I'll say that I was pretty surprised. I have heard that the Reidmar is a clean machine, but what I found was that while it is very articulate, it is actually a little more vintage sounding than the Genzler.

Both amps are somewhat in the same ball park tone wise and both have a lot of slam as they both have the same power module. The Drive on the Reidmar adds some very nice bite to the notes at around 12:00 to 2:00. You would think at that setting it would add a lot of distortion, but it actually doesn't. Pretty mild distortion. The Magellan actually is capable of boat loads more distortion.

I have not gigged the Reidmar yet, but I get the impression it is going to work very well and somewhat similar to the Magellan. I'll post my thoughts on it after I have gigged it. For now though, it seems like I will be done with amps for the foreseeable future. I think.

LeftyD, revroy and Qlanq like this.
  2. thumbslapper

thumbslapper Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2007
    San Francisco
    Wicked -

I'd love to hear a update on the EBS/Genz comparison. Did you pick one? What are the strengths/weaknesses of each one?

thx!

ts

3. 3rdcurve

3rdcurve Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Sullivan, MO
    The 750 is a great amp! The only drawback I had with it was a bit noisey for my taste. You would never notice at a gig, but at home it had some hiss. The onboard compression was decent, and I liked to dial in just enough drive to add a little harmonic content. I have yet to try the Genzler, but I am sure it is a great head as well. I had a streamliner 900, and loved it.

4. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    Hey thumbslapper, thanks for resurrecting this thread. I have already gigged both the Magellan and the Reidmar a few times and find them both very similar although the Reidmar 750 is little more vintage sounding as in not as clean although still very clean if that makes any sense. And that is not to say that the Magellan is sterile because it definitely is not.

Both amps are capable of ridiculous volume and slam. I say slam a lot on these two because they literally do slam the stage. Picture Thor's Hammer hitting the stage on each note and that is what you feel on your body and in your feet. Very addictive feeling that not many amps can provide.

Flat the Genzler sounds fuller and weightier but that is easily remedied on the EBS by adding Bass, Mid and Frequency by as little as 1:00, Then they are both in the same ball park tone wise. Both amps have Drive but they are completely different. The Genzler can go from slightly gritty to full on Distortion while the EBS is more of a slight bite to gritty. Don't expect the EBS to do Lemmy, that is not what it was designed to do.

The Magellan also has a dedicated Volume knob so that you can set the Drive to how you like and kick it in via a footswitch and not have the volume increase substantially unless you want it too. Very nice for switching from a song with clean bass and then going to a heavily distorted bass song without the volume increasing.

The EBS is more of a set it and forget it always on or not Drive. I use it more for adding some bite to the notes at about 12:00. If you try increasing the Drive, you will definitely increase the volume substantially. While I prefer the Magellan clean I like using the Drive with the Reidmar, it just adds a little something something. The Reidmar's Drive is also foot switchable.

As for the Compressor on the EBS, I prefer not to use it at home, but on the gig it did a very nice job of tightening up the notes and actually felt as if it was hitting harder with it on at about 10:00. My sound guy said he preferred how it sounded with the Compressor on and also liked the DI. He stated that there was no noise coming from it and he had no issues.

I would say right now that the Magellan is more versatile due to it having 2 different Contours, a dedicated volume knob for the Drive as well as it being able to deliver more distortion if that is what you are interested in. Although you can run the Reidmar flat, engage the Filter button and run a different EQ to your liking and then also being able to engage the Character button for a scooped sound on either the flat setting or the Filter setting. Both are very versatile, I just really like the dedicated volume knob for the Drive on the Magellan.

3rdcurve stated that his amp was hissy, I haven't had that issue so either I am lucky or maybe it has been remedied out. IDK. IMHO both amps are excellent and I am very happy to have them both in my arsenal. Hope this helps.

5StringPocket, jwindham and 3rdcurve like this.
  5. Stephen Brook

Stephen Brook

Apr 28, 2018
    The 750 is insane. Heaps of power a d tonnes of tone. Suitable for any gig situation. IMG_20180428_134818.jpg

Wicked G likes this.
  6. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    Awesome, I have also used my Reidmar on the TC K212's and it sounds great .

7. Reviresco

Reviresco It’s all success if it’s what you need. Supporting Member

Jun 5, 2011
    New England
    Thinking of picking up the Reidmar 750. I have Hartke 210 and 410 HyDrive cabs. For practice at home I only use the 210. Full band practice the 410. Gigs, I usually stack both. How do you guys think the EBS would do with those cabs? Thanks!

8. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    Wow, sorry I never saw this post. I don't think the EBS is cab picky or at least it doesn't seem that way to me and I have not read anything to say otherwise. I have tried it on 2 TC K212 cabs, a GK NEO 410 and the Genz Benz UBER QUAD and 115t and they all sound great. Hope this helps you if you haven't already purchased one.

9. jjk2007

jjk2007

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Thread revival......how is the Reidmar holding up?? Are you still using the Genzler......any preference these days? Thanks!!

10. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    Hi jjk2007.

After some time with both amps I found I preferred the Magellan 800 more because I felt the tone had more weight and fullness.

I liked the Reidmar but I was using my Streamliner and TC RH heads much more so I ended up trading it for a G&L M2000 Tribute which was a great trade for me.

Now that I have an Orange Terror Bass 500 even the Magellan doesn't get out much anymore. Great amp, but the Orange, Genz and TC are more me.

However if it wasn't for those amps, the Reidmar and Magellan would probably be my main amps.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022