new Amp New Buttons Help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FourStrings88, Dec 24, 2003.

1. FourStrings88

Apr 17, 2003
    Well I got a New Fender Rumble Bass Amp 100 watts and there is a Button that says"Ground Lift" and then two other buttons that say "Mid Scoop" and "Passive/Active Select" what are theses buttons and what do they do?
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The ground lift switch is to help with potential noise problems that can be caused by a ground loop. Basically just set the switch to the quietest position. For technical details, click here

The mid scoop switch is a preset EQ contour which scoops the midrange frequencies from your sound. This is popularly used for slap, although removing your mids can result in making you inaudible to the audience, if you play with distorted guitars. Sounds great in the bedroom, but often a bad idea for live performance.

The Passive/Active select button changes the sensitivity of your preamp so that basses with hot outputs do not overload the preamp and cause clipping. Unless you have a very high output active bass like a Stingray or G&L, passive is probably the best setting. I use the passive input of my amps for all of my basses, whether passive or active.