Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New amp or bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by clouddead, Nov 23, 2003.

1. clouddead

clouddead

Jan 15, 2003
    orlando
    i have the option of either getting a new amp head or bass. since this is the amp forum, ill talk about the amp. i have about 700-800 dollars to buy a new amp. i have considered a combo, and a pre/power setup. as of right now i have 2 aggie gs-112's. my head is a hartke Ha3000, it sucks. i am not sure what i should be looking at for my price range. i play funk, jam band stuff, trip hop, some reggae, and whatnot. suggestions. meh

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    How out of date is your profile? It says "Ibanez SR405 and a practice amp".

Since you have great cabinets, I'd look for a good used preamp and power amp.

If you buy a poweramp like a used QSC PLX1602, you'd have a nice pile of bux left over for a preamp, a rack and maybe even a surge supressor.

Have fun!!!

3. clouddead

clouddead

Jan 15, 2003
    orlando
    oh yea, my profile, oops, forgot about it.

4. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Go for a new amp. You will sound better with a moderately good bass and a really good amp than the other way around. A good amp can make an ok bass sound good, but a great bass through a bad amp will still sound like poo.

5. clouddead

clouddead

Jan 15, 2003
    orlando
    i have looked at the ebs fafner head, the eden wt-550 head. and for the power/pre, i was looking at a qsc power amp, either plx or rmx, and a demeter or kern pre.
    how much do the fafner and wt-550 go for on the used market, ive done searches, nothing shows up.

6. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
  7. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I can get a WT550 new for $909... whoever is bidding on it is really.... dumb.

8. This is true...I have a midrange Rockbass Corvette classic, and have recently purchased a Mesa/Boogie M-2000. I got noises out of that bass that I never knew possible. The only thing that would make me consider buying another bass is to show off. I am set with my tone right now, honestly because of a nice amp.

9. I've seen several used Fafners go in the $550 (grey stripe) to $600 (blue stripe) range over the last few months. It's surprising because one would expect such a powerful and highly reliable amp to command a much higher price. I'm extremely pleased with mine. Of the many hybrids that I've tried, Fafner is among the best at nailing the "all tube" sound when you want it... second only to the Aggie 750.