Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Amp or Extension Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Ok, I'm at a crossroads.. I bought an Eden Silver Series 2x8 a few months ago for a small quartet and bigband gigs. The first few gigs, I thought "Ok, this will be loud enough". Well, I think the blisters on my fingers are telling me otherwise. For the quartet its perfect. For the big band, I dont think its going to cut it. Most of the time when I play, most of what I hear is coming from the monitors so its almost like the amp isnt even there.

So, I have two decisions. Get an extension cab for the 2x8 or possible getting a new amp. This is for both 6 string and double bass. I like how the 2x8 sounds and the portability of it, but I just dont think its going to loud enough. Anyone have any suggestions on what route to go?? I have a GK700RB, so if I want to get another cab, I already have a head.

What would you guys do?? It has to be pretty portable. I have enough crap to carry around as it is.

On a side note, my local guitar center has two used Aguilar 1x12 cabs for $349 a piece. Is that a good price?

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    i think I answered one of your other threads...

if the 2x8 combo speakers stay running when you plug in another cab I'd suggest getting maybe a 210 cab to go with it. if the combo can handle a 4ohm extra cab that would maximize your output of your amp.

even though I love the aguilar 112s they might be a bit thick for double bass, but I could be wrong, TRY IT OUT AT THE STORE, WITH YOUR 208COMBO.

$350 is not terrible for slightly used, but not great either, however I have heard and believe that gs112s are tough cabs and might be fine used. TRY 'EM.

from past experience, electric only for me, two 10" and a good amp are bare minimum rig that I'd own. currently I like to use two 112s (aguilars) so I can be heard and have volume to spare (share). :D

3. Yeah, I've kinda posted the same questions a couple times. I have a SWR Workingmans 10 extension I might try with the 2x8 to see how it works out.. The problem is, for me to hear whats going on with my 2x8, I have to use a keyboard amp stand that kinda fires the sound to my head. This works quite well but I think I loose quite a bit of volume because I have nothing on the floor and most of the places we play are wooden staged areas.. I was thinking of maybe keeping the 2x8 on the stand and putting the 10in on the floor.. Kinda giving the best of both worlds.. Or maybe my idea is all wrong..