Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new amp or new pre-amp thing?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by emielow, Jul 31, 2005.

1. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    i have a hartke 3500 head + 4x10XL cabinet. but i'm thinking about buying a fatter head (EBS Fafner) but... it will cost me lots of money.

i also have a cheaper option, is buying the tech 21 sansamp programmable bassdriver

[​IMG]

it wil bring me another 3 channels. i wil have my normal hartke sound, and 3 different settings on the bassdriver (slapsetting, drive, full overdrive)

will it get me a better sound, is it worth the money (249 euro) or should i wait till i have enough money to buy a fafner top (than i only have 1 channel)

2. I'd say go for the sansamp or try a pod :bassist:

3. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    why?

4. Get the EBS MicroBass II. They sound great...800 bucks though. BTW they look saweet just like everything else EBS. It has 2 channels also.

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I can only speak from my individual experience, but I had an EBS Fafner that had reliability issues.

6. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

When it comes to the Sansamp, I'm a 'true believer'. I use a BDDI in front of my PLX/Demeter rack, and also in front of a newly aquired YBA200.

The programable one looks nice. So does the ParaDriver with its mid control.

I say get a SA for whatever amp!

7. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    I've been using a Sansamp RBI for about 6 months now. I'm loving the tone. Three bassplayers from other bands we've played with went out and bought one after hearing it. Just the right amount of overdrive and a HUGE sound.

The only problem I see with the programmable BDDI is that it's a pedal. I would suggest carrying a D.I. extension with you in case the venue's cable won't reach out to where you want to place the pedal.