1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

new amp or new pre-amp thing?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by emielow, Jul 31, 2005.

1. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    i have a hartke 3500 head + 4x10XL cabinet. but i'm thinking about buying a fatter head (EBS Fafner) but... it will cost me lots of money.

i also have a cheaper option, is buying the tech 21 sansamp programmable bassdriver

[​IMG]

it wil bring me another 3 channels. i wil have my normal hartke sound, and 3 different settings on the bassdriver (slapsetting, drive, full overdrive)

will it get me a better sound, is it worth the money (249 euro) or should i wait till i have enough money to buy a fafner top (than i only have 1 channel)

2. I'd say go for the sansamp or try a pod :bassist:

3. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    why?

4. Get the EBS MicroBass II. They sound great...800 bucks though. BTW they look saweet just like everything else EBS. It has 2 channels also.

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I can only speak from my individual experience, but I had an EBS Fafner that had reliability issues.

6. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

When it comes to the Sansamp, I'm a 'true believer'. I use a BDDI in front of my PLX/Demeter rack, and also in front of a newly aquired YBA200.

The programable one looks nice. So does the ParaDriver with its mid control.

I say get a SA for whatever amp!

7. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    I've been using a Sansamp RBI for about 6 months now. I'm loving the tone. Three bassplayers from other bands we've played with went out and bought one after hearing it. Just the right amount of overdrive and a HUGE sound.

The only problem I see with the programmable BDDI is that it's a pedal. I would suggest carrying a D.I. extension with you in case the venue's cable won't reach out to where you want to place the pedal.