1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

new amp, Peavey VB-2, Traynor YBA200 or Orange Terror Bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nigel Rahmshard, May 19, 2011.

What amp should i get?

Poll closed Jun 2, 2011.
  1. Peavey VB-2

21 vote(s)
    19.4%
  2. Traynor YBA200-2

15 vote(s)
    13.9%
  3. Orange Terror Bass 500

22 vote(s)
    20.4%
  4. Something Else

43 vote(s)
    39.8%
  5. What you have is awesome and you dont need anything else.

7 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. Nigel Rahmshard

Nigel Rahmshard

Jan 3, 2004
    Currently i have an Eden Nemesis 650 going through an Eden 215xlt cabinet. I have had this head for a long time and the cabinet for about a year. I love the combination. However i think it would be cool to have another amp to go along with it.

I am thinking about getting a tube amp (or hybrid in the orange's case.)

So should i get a Peavey VB-2, Traynor YBA200 or Orange Terror Bass. Or something different.

I just wanted to see what everyones vote is for.

I like the Peavey for the clean and overdrive channel and the extra 25 watts.

I like the Traynor because its a bit more obscure.

I like both cause i enjoy watching the pretty tubes glow.

The orange sounds cool and is light. Plus Orange amps look cool.

2. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I have had the YBA 200 for a few weeks now and am liking it pretty good. Nice tube tones on tap, even though the EQ seems a bit different than what I am accustomed to (Ampeg V-4). I have yet to try the other two amps You have in mind, but the VB-2 has been on my radar for some time.
    Watch out, tubes are highly addictive!

3. carbonfold

carbonfold

Oct 13, 2006
    Dallas, Texas
    If your going to put up the VB-2 vs YBA200 against each other, you will find the VB-2 will win hands down. Excellent amp but toss out the idea of having a usable overdrive channel with your clean channel. It just doesn't work well when switching between the two. However, it is a killer sounding amp for its price.

As for light weight amps, I've heard that the Terror sounds great. However, I have no experience there, but I can tell you the GB Shuttle 9.0 is a beast of a light weight amp. It actually hurts me that I just sold mine but had GAS for a Bassman 300 Pro.

If I was going to say Shuttle 9.0 or the VB-2. I would say Shuttle 9.0 HANDSDOWN! Seriously, the 9.0 is a beast of an amp. Don't let the 4.5lb class D amp steer you away.

4. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i bought a mesa d180, because i live near hollywood, ca and i can just drive 20 minutes to get it repaired at the mesa place on sunset

5. Colonel129

Colonel129

Feb 23, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    If you want tube, do it "right" and go for the original!!! SVT, SVT-CL, SVT-VR, B-15,V4, or V4-B... all of which rock SOX!!! There is a reason all other tube designs have their foundations rooted in Ampeg's form... IMHO!!! I love my '06 SVT-CL, use to rock a 90's V4-BH... though I do have my F1 in my gig bag as my back-up/easy travel "pocket rocket"...

Concerning your original options... I have heard great things about the VB-2, but all my tube experience lies with Ampeg. ENJOY YOUR CONVERSION!!!!!!!!!! MMMWWWWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

6. I think the cab is a keeper. With that in mind bring it down to a music shop that has the heads you are thinking of trying and compare them.

I can think of two heads that excite me that you might want to try before you settle into a decision. 1) Genz-Benz Streamliner 900 2) All tube MESA/Boogie products. The d180 (6 6L6's), Bass 400 (6 6L6's or 6550's or KT88's), Bass 400+ (12 6L6's), Buster (6 6L6's) and it is even rumored that MESA has another all tube bass head in the works. Tom Bowlus had an interview at MESA and they definitely dropped a hint or two.

The Peavey and the Mesa's are also going to be lighter than most other all tube amps (think Ampeg) if that makes any difference to you. All the best in your decision. Cheers.

7. My vote gets to Peavey VB-2. I´ve gigged through it once, and there was very little I could complain about. Actualy I didn´t like built-in overdrive. It cut so much lows I couldn´t believe. I tried to mess with EQ but it didn´t help. Please note, that it was not my amp, so I might have ovelooked something...What suprised me in a good way was weight of the amp. One would expect more lbs. from all-tube amp.

8. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    VB-2.
    Also remember the Peavey has a 5 year warranty and the best CS in the biz

9. I've had a Traynor YBA200 for 4 years or so as one of my backup amps... it sounds absolutely crushing, and I find myself bringing it to more gigs than my SVTs or Peavey Classic 400 as it's half the weight, I can get it sounding nasty that much sooner being that it's 200 watts, and the sweepable mid + resonance knobs certainly add that little extra EQ that I'd ask for over the typical 3 band. It's everything I need and nothing I don't.

10. dmot002

dmot002

Nov 12, 2010
    Almost as good as Mesa !!! :p

11. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    As much as I love Ampegs, I'd have to disagree, there are plenty of other designs out there, Traynor, Mesa, Fender, Sunn, Marshall, and Orange. Their pre-amps don't really have anything in common with Ampegs. That said, I love my Ampegs so much, they are indeed the best tone out there, IMO.

Hard to imagine beating Traynor's "even if you break it" warranty.

Tonally, I prefer the modern YBA-200 or an old-school YBA-3. The Peavey to my ears sounded more like a guitar amp. The YBA-200 does lack in power compared to the Peavey, and probably will distort a bit earlier, but given your choice of amps, I don't think your style requires a whole lot of that.

12. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    + 1

Having owned both amps, I would take the YBA200 in a heartbeat over the Peavey. The tone on the YBA200 was much fatter and it felt like there was much more usable EQ parameters on it as well.

With the right cab, the YBA200 will kick butt at any venue. Since you have a 2x15's, I couldn't think of anything more perfect to pair up with a YBA200.

13. bassplayerken

bassplayerken

Jul 18, 2010
    Jessup, MD
    Funny how certain companies try to emulate the Ampeg tone, however the Ampeg tone isn't exactally theirs to begin with. Lee Jackson built the Ampeg tone for them based off of his Perfect Connection preamp (BP-1000) which included the mid-range sweepable EQ and (supposedly) was the first 1U rackmout tube preamp. I find it very fun to try out these old school options and currently own the BP-1000 and a GT Brick with NOS tubes (60's Mullard and 60's Amperex). If you look hard enough, you can find huge and dialed in tone but still have something a little different than the status quo. Not to mention I was able to get that huge tubey tone I wanted for a fraction of the price of an Ampeg tube head.

14. Back in the late 70's when I was in my 20's I used to jam with some guys close to my house. At the time I had (at home) a 30 watt (10 watts RMS) Sears combo bass amp,so going to my friends house and using a Traynor tube bass head was like seeing God. A few months ago I purchased a used Traynor YBA 200 from a fellow T.B er and that old familar sound came back. Being a CDN,, I love my Traynor.

15. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Voted for the Orange Terror Bass 500. This puppy is freakin loud. I have my master volume at 1 O'clock and my gain at 9 O'clock, with a passive bass, through a 8 ohm 4 x 10 GK cabinet, with sound so clear and full of body. A real cool retro look too. As I understand it, it outputs 500 watts in either 4 or 8 ohm load (Switch selectable).

16. Nigel Rahmshard

Nigel Rahmshard

Jan 3, 2004
    Thanks for all the opinions so far guys! Im gonna go check some stuff out over the next week. Today the local Peavey dealer had a vb-2, but i noticed 2 of the power tubes were blown, so i didnt even try it. bummer.

17. Colonel129

Colonel129

Feb 23, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    ^^^^^^This was closer to what I meant in my earlier post. I know schematically there are GREAT variations, and tones are diverse as they come... but when I think Tube, I think "Super Valve Technology"... and as diverse as Tube tones can be, they are ALWAYS uniquely Tube.

AGAIN!!!! IMHO!!!!!! I am not a Tube purist, but I love what I love.