New amp rig for Harry!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Mar 22, 2005.

1. When your parents laugh at you when you say "I want to bring the combo amp" for an audition, it's time to get a new rig.

I tried a peavey head and ampeg 2x10 at my rehersle space yesterday. It sounded very sweet.

I really like the tone of Ampegs for cabinets, Punchy low mids, tight lows, clean, clear treble, but enough mids to cut through. I have a J-retro preamp, so I would like a pre-amp that won't color my tone entirely, as I would do all the EQing through the retro.

I think I would be selling my Ampeg b3-158 to finance it. I bought it for $780 new 3 years ago. Any idea how much it would go for? $550?
  2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Heres a fair warning: Ampeg cabs don't enjoy notes lower than the low D much. As for your combo, what are it's specs?
  3. It has one 15" speaker for a woofer, one 8' Polyprophylene speaker for a tweeter, it's dimensions are 20"x34.5"x14.5", and it weighs 84 lbs.

Were you looking for like ohms, or EQ bands?
  4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Watts would be good. What kinda preamp it has. EQ bands aren't as important but sure. I dont think Ohms really matters much.
  5. low Freq-100 watts

High frew-50 watts.

The preamp.. Doesn't really say anything. I think it's a B-series head modified.
  6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Say you want $550, but don't hesitate to sell it for $450. Don't take anything below that.
  7. bump. Still looking at Peavey heads and ampeg 210s. any more suggestions?
  8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    awwwwwwwww man

you know i hate combos to death but i thought yours was way cool.

if it was me. i might hold onto it and save yer pennies (get a job you bum :p ) and save up for a cool cab like a shroeder or bag end and a head.
  9. Hey man, I know. I love that combo, but it's just a pain in the butt to haul up stairs. Putting it in a car is another story!

I can't get a job RIGHT now, my parents don't want me to, but they might help me finance it, if it means