1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New amp search..3 choices.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by capnjim, Sep 26, 2008.

1. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    So I have a markbass club s450. I find it too clean and lacking mids. Its kind of a one trick pony as the eq section doesn't do too much. I have narrowed it down to three choices.
    Please don't confuse me with any others!!

I have read reviews on all of them and they are all great amps. Which will be furthest away from the markbass? I play rock, funk, maybe some reggae. I'm looking for a touch of grit, with some mids thrown in. Something with good versatility. I'm not too concerned with size or weight.
    has anybody by any chance used all three of these?
    I can't try any of them as I have no place nearby that carries any of them.
    1. Genz Benz 6.0
    2. Aguilar AG500
    3. ashdown MK500 (I'm leaning towards this one due to the nice EQ) Maybe an Ashdown ABM 500
    Thanks
    Oh yeah, I use a MM stingray.

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Markbass is in Italy.
    Ashdown is in the UK.
    Aguilar is in NYC.
    Genz is in Scottsdale AZ.

So the furthest away from the MarkBass is the Genz.

Have you considered the radical idea of actually listening to these amps? Or are you willing to take someone else's vote? It's your tone; if you care, then you make the choice.

3. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    "Have you considered the radical idea of actually listening to these amps"

Ummm..have you considered the radical idea of reading my entire post? I have no where near that sells any of these, let alone one. Just looking for a bit of advice.

4. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Yup. I read it.

If you don't listen, then you have a good chance of not liking what you've chosen. You may be able to order all three online and return the two you don't want to keep. (Of course, doing so simply increases retail prices for everyone, since now the retailer is stuck with two B-Stock amps.)

Any suggestions you get from people here will be based on their idea of what they like. If you're willing to take someone else's choice, fine.

I'll suggest the Aggie. I think it'll be furthest from the MB S450. I haven't heard it either.

5. If you want controlled grit you could always introduce this with a pedal such as Sansamp, for example the new SansAmp VT Bass pedal. Cheaper than getting another amp and then you get the best of the world, the clarity and punch of MarkBass and any grit you want.

6. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    GAS is a horrible beast. The only reason I am looking is because I recently got a great deal on a rare MM stringray. It kills all my other basses and its the only one I play. I sold about 2000$ worth of stuff and its burning a hole in my pocket!!
    Its "my" money, so I'm not spending it on household/kids. Thats the deal with the missus, whatever I profit from eBay etc. I get to keep.

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I'm not sure where you find a lack of mids with a Markbass head, but I'll take your word for it, since I've never played that particular model. My LMII had plenty of midrange.

Anyway, if it's mids your looking for, the Aguilar is the way to go. I had an AG 500 for a while, and it had VERY prominent mids. SO prominent that I didn't care for the sound of it much.

8. Willy2911

Willy2911

Sep 11, 2008
    OC California
    I can only say that I have played alot of diferent amps - Ampeg - GK - Ash - Fender -
    Hartke - SWR - Peavy - Genz - Mark bass - etc. You have to feel them out, but if you have no way of doing that, then as you did, I am sure Research...
    I would like to suggest that you check out Acoustic Amplification
    Acoustic is a brand that has been around for over 40 years and it was good enough for the Late, Great Jaco. He used 2 Acoustic 360s

9. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Add a pedal for EQ, like the MXR M-108. 10-band EQ stomp-box, nice little accessory for the tone toolkit. Has lots of Gain, and it's very effective for tweaks that matter. Maybe your amp is really ok, and rather than go through a mess of dealing and twisting yourself up, you should 'deal with it' until you come across the amp that really does it for you. Spend less, make it work, save your $$ for the thing you know you really want.

You just sound like you're on a bit of a toot, and that you're going to come down from it. Best to find you haven't have done yourself any damage when you do!

GAS is bust.

10. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Thanks Count..that's great advice. I mean I really do love the markbass/stingray combo. I just got this cash burning burning burning. That EQ pedal sounds like a great idea. I have also being toying with the idea of getting a compressor as some of my fills are a bit boomy. Also, when rockin' out, I can't add any slap fills because they are too loud and sound off. mmm..is there an eq/compressor pedal? Does such an animal exist?

11. ''

You could get a multi-pedal, Zoom B2 or B2.1U or something similar.

12. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Try the EQ idea first. You get the wild freq's attenuated a little, you'll be surprised at how much more managed your sound is. Also, a compressor is easy to abuse! You can end up with a squashed, and less musical, signal before you know it.

Try dealing with it one step at a time: Start with EQ, get used to how to use that, and you'll probably stop having to buy stuff sooner than you think. Maybe you haven't fully learned how to make the best use of the EQ on the amp...? That thing has pre-shape type filters as well, and those in combination with the EQ setings might just fix 'er up.

Good luck sitting on that loose cash!! :D