New amp setup. HELP ME BE SMART!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PollyBass, May 8, 2002.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Alright. i'm considering MORE POWER. and Maybe better tone. Ok, i now have a 350 watt Crate head that actully really like, and a 4x10 Peavey TX cab.
    It's 8 ohms so i'm only running 200 into it. Now i want some more power. Should I

Option Number 1. Get a power amp(carvin 600 something. around 600 watts me thinks.), hope it runs from my XLR out from my head, and get another 4x10 cab that runs at 8 ohms.

Option Number 2. Screw it all to heck and get a Carvin 8x10, and a carvin 1000 watt head.

What ya guys think? the latter i think would be more expensve. But if i used the first option, i wouldent have any out for the pa at gigs. Helps me!
  2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    If transporting your gear is not an issue, I would go with option #2--The Carvin 810 and RL1000 head. I think the complete setup is being sold for like $1200 from Carvin (too lazy to look for specifics right now).

Then you could sell off your other gear (if you so choose) and you would probably have about the same invested in the end, but would have a brand new rig.

Good luck.;)
  3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Thanks man,,, i was leaning more to that side.......
  4. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Keep us posted on what you end up getting and how it works out for ya.:)
  5. midlife

Nov 21, 2001
    You get what you pay for.

Buy a QSC PLX power amp run it bridged.

Buy an Alembic preamp and put it in the rack with the power amp.

Buy a power conditioner to make sure you are getting consistent power.

Buy a Bergantino 3x10 or 212 cabinet.

VOILA, One kick ass system. It will last you a lifetime.
  6. Polly, the difference in volume between 350 and 600 watts is less than 3db.

Watch out for that Carvin 1000, though - I'm hearing more than a few people say it puts out 1000w into 2 ohms but is not 2 ohm stable.

Midlife's right - you get what you pay for. I'd add that upgrading through several kinds of gear before you get to the stuff you want is more expen$ive than just saving for what you want and buying it.

I ended up taking about a $400 beating on a Nemesis combo amp recently - it's a very nice amp but the 225 watts it put out wasn't enough for what I needed, so after owning the amp for less than six months I sold it (at the aforementioned $400 loss - at least I sold it to a friend) and bought a 1000w Ampeg/Peavey/Eden rig. It might be wise to wait a bit and get what you want rather than something in the interim.

That said, QSC and Mackie make great power amps for cheap. Used Ampeg preamps can be had for less than $300 - you can put together a head with siginificant oomph for less than $1000.

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Option #3: Just get another 4-10 cabinet (Peavey if you like the one you have).

You did say you like the head, right? This way you'll get a lot louder and have a deeper tone for minimal $$.

You can always upgrade to a new head or add a power amp in the future for a further improvement. That's the whole point of having a modular rig.
  8. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i think that the carvin idea is good
  9. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    But with the 810 cab, I am assuming it would be ran at 4 ohms, so it should be OK there.

Doesn't Luis Fabara have the Carvin R1000 head with the 810 cab?? You could try emailing or PMing him to see if he can give you some more info about the setup that you are looking at, also.
  10. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yeah well with the carvin, it uses dual power amps, And the head is rated at (I Have the catalog) i think 1000 watts at 2ohms. In the end, the setup i would like to have is either 4 4x10's or 2 4x10's and a 8x10. I was looking at the carvin power amps. can you daisy chain these amps? the thing is, i want to have a free XLR out on my head, but be able to run a power amp. Should i just go the "Pre amp- power amp" route? i want at least 600 watts to both sides going to 8x10's one way or another. i do like my cab, and might get another one like it, if i can find one. after that, then what? a new preamp i guess.....

by the way, i might be getting a rick, don't they have that "two output streo" thing?
  11. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    The Carvin R1000 runs 500W per channel at a 2 Ohm load, or 1000W Bridged mono into a 4 Ohm load. Plenty of oomph into 4 ohms... FWIW, I've run my R600 bridged into the same Peavey cabinet that you have, Polly, and it sounded pretty good. Plenty of punch, loud, and a lot of headroom. Wish I would have bought the cab :(

12. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ok, that sounds good. then what do i need to do to get the same power into another pair of 4x10's? do carvin amps have a pre amp out for a power amp? I'll have the 1000 watt's to the 8x10. and i want to run two other 4x10's with the same power. i mean, 1000 watts to the set of 4x10's.