new amp : should I buy a 15", 2x10" or 4x10"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by whitehouse, Feb 15, 2002.

1. I have a Warwick F.N.A. Jazzman 5,
    and am saving up for a new amp..

At this time I have a
    Warwick Sweet 15, 150 Watt Amp, but I realy definately want to buy another..
    why ? He cannot handle my Humbucker Pickup (gain at 0, I cannot split the Humbucker, cauz then the low strings will let my amp clip all the time)
    and besides that, the amp does only perform good when the volume is at a higer level then I can put it on our stage..
    when I play, I have the gain at 0, and the volume at 3 .. and that's the hardest volume that I can put my amp .. (my grammar stinks he ?? :D )

so my question... what kind of amp is a good amp to buy ? a 1x15" , 2x10" or 4x10" ?? ( I have to think also about my 5th string..) bass :)

isn't she a beauty ? .. think I am in love :p
  2. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    That's strange.
    Does the amp have an input pad (-10dB switch)?
    And what if you just turn down the volume of your bass?
    And one more point: Clipping can also occure when you boost low frequencies very much. (e.g. by cranking the 'bass' knobs both on your bass and amp and engaging the 'low boost' switch).

Just some thoughts because I just can't imagine that a Warwick amp can't handle a Warwick bass...
    (And more generally: any modern amp should be able to handle any active or passive bass - at least at low volume)

3. the volume knob is always fully open ... I thought about turning it down a bit when I play on my humbucker and open it more when I play on the jazz element, becauz the jazz is more silent then the humbucker..

the thing is, on my amp , the low and mid-low has been put on zero (0) , ..the bass knob on my bass has been put on a half (three quart from 0)
    becauz I have mixed my bass on the PA-system ...

my amp cannot make the sound my bass produces, so I mix my bass on the PA-system and then I try to make the best of it with my Sweet 15 ..
    the sweet15 only clips when I split my humbucker.. why is it that when you split a humbucker, the sound gets harder ? (or the ouput gets harder..)
  4. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Interesting. I have no clue, sorry.

Back to your original question:
    Many players (including me) like smaller speakers (10", 12") better for 'stage monitoring' because they are better heard in the short distance.
    I would use a 115&210 setup only if I had to play without PA support frequently.
    But of cause it depends on which sound you prefer.

Personally I chose a 212 because a 410 is too heavy for me, one 210 too weak and two 210s too much hassle.
    Look at threads like 'which amp setup do you own' and you will see that everyone seems to have different preferences.

If you're looking for a combo, I would suggest one of those now very popular 300W/210" combos - I liked the Warwick CCL very much BTW... maybe it will handle your bass better...