1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Amp - Silly Questions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gord, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    Hi guys,
    these might be silly questions, but I've never had this situation before, so hear me out!

I'm thinking of buying the QSC GX5
    ( http://www.axemusic.com/product.asp...artPosition=1&strSearchCriteria=any&PT_ID=all )

now, it says 2x500 at 8ohms. I have two eden 410s that are rated at 540watts rms. I was hoping to power each with 500 watts. Does this amp deliver 500 watts to each cabinet, or 500 watts, split into two (250 each)?

My other question was how to hook it up. The power amp has two outputs, would I have two cables going from each output to its own cabinet, or go from the power amp to one cabinet, and use the other output on the cabinet to go to the second cab?

thanks guys!

2. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    2x500 means 2 channels, each of which is 500 watts, so a total of 1,000 watts

You can hook up either way - one cabinet on each channel or both cabinets on the same channel. If it were me (and I also use a stereo power amp rig) I would put one cabinet on each channel. That means you run one cable from amp channel 1 output to one of your cabinets, and a second cable from amp channel 2 output to your other cabinet. That way you get individual control over each speaker's volume.

By the way, when you hook things up this way you also have to connect the output of your preamp to both input channels of your power amp. Some power amps have a switch that allows you to this with a single cable, but your amp doesn't have this switch so you will need a "Y" cable to do this. This can be either XLR or 1/4" depending on what type of output your preamp has.

Your amp can't be bridged (connecting both sides of the stereo amp together to create one high-power mono amp), so I won't even tell you about that!

Also: make sure you are using speaker cables, NOT INSTRUMENT CABLES, to connect your power amp to your cabinet(s). The type of cable you use to connect your instrument to your preamp SHOULD NOT BE USED to connect speakers to power amps.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You didn't mention a preamp, but I assume you have one, or this new poweramp won't work. Just checking, what is it?

4. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    Thanks! 1000 watts for $500 canadian is amazing, I'll pull the trigger on this immediately!

I didn't know about the Y cable, so thanks for that too! And yes, I use speaker cables. My guitarist was using an instrument cable for one jam - I still cringe just thinking about it :)

RickenBoogie, It's an Ampeg SVP-CL.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    That'll sound huge. 1000 warm watts through 8 10's will slay them all. Nice rig.

6. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Hey, Gord - If you're using an SVP-CL preamp, it already has two outputs so you can forget about the "Y" cable. Just use two normal (but short) 1/4" instrument cables to connect to the two channel inputs on that QSC.