1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Amp Suggestion

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ppiluk, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Hello all,

I am looking to move from my Ampeg BA-108v2 to something I can take out to a Jam night and out to play with friends. I am looking at a few options.

Firstly, I am looking at the TC Electronic BG250. I love it’s tone and the inclusion of the Toneprints. I am currently looking at the 15” version because it sounded better than the 12” version. It also has DI to hook directly up to a PA system. This is my current front runner.

Secondly, a Fender Rumble 100 or 200. It also has a DI. It is a pretty basic amp but does have a decent tone.

Thirdly, and I suppose this is a long shot but my local store does have a great deal on a floor model, the Roland Bass Cube. It’s not a bad amp and does have a DI as well. I also like the way this sounds on some of the models.

I have a budget of around $500 so feel free to make other suggestions. I am open to other possibilities such as a dedicated DI preamp pedal.

2. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    I just picked up a Rumble 200 a couple of days ago. After lots of research and playing the few combos that I had access to, I selected the Rumble 200-15.

It does had a nice tone for sure- it really likes my P bass a lot!

I've only had it a couple of days but so far there's nothing I don't like about it.

upload_2017-10-9_15-56-13.png

3. Cool. Thanks for the input. Love the look of that P-Bass!

The Chuck and Pbassmanca like this.
  4. wizerd

wizerd

Jan 5, 2012
    Prone to ranting, episodes of moral outrage.
    I would opt for the Rumble myself, portability tone and simple knobs rate high for me. Happy shopping

5. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    +1 for the Fender Rumble 200 :thumbsup: Sounds superb and is very versatile. Plenty loud enough to play your typical 100 person bar on it's own. For larger venues just plug a mic cable into the XLR out to the PA and let 'er rip. Plus you can add an 8ohm extension speaker cabinet to move more air and increase SPL. It's a good solid piece of gig worthy gear. :bassist:

Aqualung60, Pbassmanca and ppiluk like this.
  6. It looks like the Rumble has quite a few fans...

Aqualung60 and Linnin like this.
  7. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Well they are the best selling line of bass amps in the entire solar system, so they are very popular. ;)Check out the Fender Rumble Club, and :cool: Rumble On! :cool:

ppiluk likes this.
  8. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    If you can swing it, look at the Rumble 500. It is a 2x10 with 500 watts. It is loud enough for most gigs and has a DI if it isn't

9. Buzz E

Buzz E Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    If you like the tone of the Ampegs and TC's, steer clear of the darkness and muddle of the Rumbles...especially if you still rock that Schecter! My pick would be something from GK's MB Combo series. Made in the USA, and you can add the matching self powered GK MPB Powered cabinets if you need a bigger setup. The extension cab has its own amp so it doesn't have to share the amp in the combo and split the power like with the Rumbles. Twice the power, clear, articulate, great tone, and reliable as well. The GK amps are solid!

Tim Craig, smtp4me and ppiluk like this.
  10. Thanks for the advice. I will look into the GK MB!

Buzz E likes this.
  11. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    I'm an Ampeg guy but, the Rumble 500 I played on 2 different gigs was not dark nor muddled, it was loud and clear.

12. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    What about Hartke? For $550 on Sweetwater.com you can get the Hartke KB15:
    hartke-kickback-kb15-2015-253928.jpg

For $380 on Sweetwater.com you can get the Bugera BXD15A, I have played with it and it is a great sounding amp and not just for the money!
    Bugera-BXD15A-Ultrabass-Front.png

Both amps tilt back which to me is a big advantage because I can hear myself clearly over drums, guitars, keys, ect... I would check them out. The Bugera blew my MB500 and Mesa 2x10 cab out of the water. I contribute that to the Kick back design.

Felix Lopez, ppiluk and Pbassmanca like this.
  13. I've owned the TC Electronic BG250 115 and the Rumble 100 v3. I'd go with the Rumble 200 v3 unless you like the toneprint thing, then go with the TC Electronic BG250. Both are similar in price and the Rumble is a little bit lighter and has the ext speaker out.

ppiluk and squidtastic like this.
  14. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    AMPEG BA210v2 has a $100 rebate! Only $399 with rebate =a lotta amp for little $$$.

ppiluk likes this.
  15. AcridSaint

AcridSaint ベーシスト Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2012
    Raleigh
    I don't play well.
    I like the TC out of your selections. My only experience with the Roland bass cubes is with the tiny one that they make and based on that, I don't have a favorable impression. I have been told I'm wrong on this, however. I think if you're downsizing for jamming and playing with friends, then the Toneprint stuff is also nice for your situation.

ppiluk likes this.
  16. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

What's that Bugera combo rated for, like 3500 watts or something isn't it? :smug:

foolforthecity and ppiluk like this.
  17. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    It says it's 1000 watts, but it sounds like it's a solid 350-400 watts.

ppiluk and Pbassmanca like this.
  18. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Fender Rumble V3 200/150 Vs Hartke KB15

If you dint play 5 string , just go with Rumble 200/150 or 500/210. For tone, the Vintage button and Overdrive is bonus with this amp. She also can handle elec guitar ( input jack ) and keyboard/digital drum ( AUX input ) nicely along with Horn ON. Adding extension Cab could give it full throttle shout ! Little scoop tone character with Flat EQ . Overall smooth and warmth tone which great match with Pbass and Jbass.

The Hydrive 15 can handle Low-B better than Rumble 200/150 (i compare it side by side with Ibanez SRFF805 and Squier VM V ) , only come with simple 3EQ , Shape function , Headphone out and DI . No exten Cab add.
    Tone is clean, clear and punchy with flat EQ. I prefer this simple 3 band EQ than 4 band on Rumble , the Bass range at 70hz, increase the level i get thick Punch-Thick Low instead Deep-Fat low. The Midrange at 700hz , it is HI-MID range actually, i prefer decrease a bit which dint effect the MID tone too much and the Treble knob just like Horn level control . If you play slap ,Hydrive driver is your friend.

Just my opinion share and hope help .

Off Topic. I have interested with Bugera BXD15A which mention above......

YAP_6756.JPG YAP_6757.JPG YAP_6758.JPG YAP_6770.JPG

ppiluk and Aqualung60 like this.
  19. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008

Base on the spec, the driver rate 250W ! Was the 1000 W in PMPO ?
    I suspect the actual RMS maybe in range 150 ~ 220 Watts.

Bugera BXD15 spec.png

20. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    If you like the TC, go with that. No one else is going to be playing through it but you, so ignore the fanboys.

You’ve said you love the tone of the TC. That’s all you should need.

AcridSaint, ppiluk and Pbassmanca like this.