1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

new amp time!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by S Lewis, Mar 18, 2009.

1. S Lewis

S Lewis

May 23, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    So, I'm in the market for a new amp and I'm feeling torn between the many offerings out there. I'm placing a limit of $500 on my new (or used!) head.

I dont necessarily need something 'versatile'; I basically just need something with a good "clean" tone and some ridiculous overdrive that I can dial in to my liking (i'd rather not have to depend on a pedal for my dirty tone). I play in a classic rock band currently, but I also play alot of chordal solo jazz material and I want to use the same amp for both situations.

I'd like to get an all-tube head, but I can deal with a hybrid setup if it saves me on weight and complexity. For example, I can get a Peavey AlphaBASS all-tube head for $300 or I can get Peavey TB Raxx tube preamp and a Peavey DPC 750 for about 400. I play medium size venues so I need plenty of power, but i would like to maintain portability since I do alot of loading and unloading by myself.

I'm currently playing through an 8 ohm Peavey TVX115, and my bass is a TBC AP500M.

I dont have to stick with Peavey, but it's treated me well so far :smug:

and suggestions from the wise bass monks of talkbass?

2. stick with Peavey. I would still have mine for a backup rig if some jerk didn't steal it. very dependable stuff, and high quality for the money

3. S Lewis

S Lewis

May 23, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    true true.
    can anyone chime in on the tonal characteristics of the AlphaBASS?

and how 'tubey' is the TB Raxx?