1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New amp...umm...month!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jumbo_steelie, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Hey guys, thought I'd share my recent aquisition. I picked up what I think is an early 70s Ampeg V4B. Rushed it home and stacked her on top of my 90s ampeg fridge and wow.....THE TONE. Huge and monstrous, the sound I've heard in my head for the longest time. I have to sell a ton of pedals and re-roof my house myself, but it's so worth it. Anyway, pictures below

v4b3.

v4b2.

v4b1.

v4b4.

It's new amp month because I've been too busy rockin this thing or doin other things (the weather around these parts has been fantastic), this is the first day it occured to me to share. Please don't mind the bit of basement mould, it adds to the tone....

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sweet! My first good amp was a V4B and fridge...I loved it.

3. dubstylee

dubstylee

Feb 9, 2007
  4. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Congrats, what a find!

5. Thanks guys....Dubstylee...nice rig!!!

6. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Nice score! Looks like a mid to late 70s model. One of the best sounding amps i have had. I regret selling mine more than my svt.

7. Mold like that can ruin your health if you get allergic to it. If anyone in the household is less than healthy they could be on a fast track to a really miserable life and an early death.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    At first I thought you were talking about the V4B, but then I got a look at the wall behind it.

9. Thanks dude...got the dehumidifier's workin and the mold is subsiding. The wife wants the paint to get a little harder before I bleach it again. Only me and the bandmates hang out in the basement, and the mold will be the last thing that kills them. Not to mention I work in water treatment as well, so the amount of chlorine that's probably in my lungs acts as a nice defense....

The guy i bought it off of said it was a 72 -75.....not sure how I can find out...any tips?

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    It's a 74-79 Magnavox era. Can't date it through serials, though...you'll need to pull the preamp and check the pot codes.

11. Thanks Jimmy...I knew I could look to talkbass!! I really love the tones I'm getting. Bright to deep....and everything in between. Between this and my GK, I'm set for amps.....:bassist: