Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by simonx, Mar 14, 2005.

1. simonx

simonx

Aug 10, 2004
    Hey,

Sorry if this has been asked before but i am a bassist and seeking advice. I currently have a 15 watt fender witch is ample for practising but i have recently joined a band and i am unsure what amp to buy. I have been looking at a secound hand peavy 115 combo which i can get from a freind for 200. I only have around £270 to spend around $500 i think? Does anyone have any better ideas? ill be using the amp for band practises and small pub gigs. Cheers,
    Simon

2. Stez

Stez

Mar 4, 2005
    I'm sure others will say it,
    Have a look on ebay, there is a 115 combo on there for £55 at the mo, but it's got 7 days left.

3. simonx

simonx

Aug 10, 2004
    Yeah i have been whaching ebay, no doubt that peavy will fly out. I was just wondering any advice on other amps for 270 that would be useable for small gigs
    cheers

4. Well about a year ago i got a Peavey Firebass 700 watt amp with a 4 ohm peavey 410tvx cab for £500

I recently saw one go for £400 , and have seen them go even cheaper with the delta bass and the other smaller bass head

So id watch out on ebay, you get some pleasant surprises

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=58719&item=7306328729&rd=1

that is sitting pretty with only a few hours left! if you could get a cheapish cab that would be good, there is also the nitrobass (450watt) version further down the page for not too much more

Id say get an amp and cab, i personally dont like combos, even if they are easier to carry around

5. simonx

simonx

Aug 10, 2004
    Cheers for that, 8 years giging tho? thats an awful long time. What do you think of a Behringer ultrabass bx3000t. Ive read some decent reviews and its only 156 at gak! cheers,

Simon

6. Thats without a speaker cabinet tho, you would have to spend more on that

I personally dislike the behringers, and have heard they dont last that long, could be misinformed though, but personally i can say peavey are great (for the price)

Never tried that head, but the cabs are good, if you dont want it i may buy it just to get a cab on the cheaper side and sell on the extra head :p

7. simonx

simonx

Aug 10, 2004
    Yeah i reckon i could get some decent speakers of ebay tho. Arent you worried about the 8 years giging? it cant be great condition if hes letting it go for 250 relisticaly? a 210 watt combo went for 270 yesturday!

8. well its a solid state amp, it either works or it doesnt :p

alot of people find that if somethings older they wont use it . . . but (may be a poor comparison), look at how much people will shell out for a nearly 40 yr old ampeg :p

To be honest i wouldnt be worried about the gigging, but its completelly up to you