new amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by loudmouth, May 5, 2001.

1. loudmouth

Mar 22, 2001
    I am a realatively new bass player and i am getting ready to go in a band i needa bigger amp. My current amp is a Crate BX15 and it is so small. My bass is a Ibanez GSR200. I would like to know what size amp(watts),brand,and a combo or a small stack.

2. captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    i dunno what kind of music you play or how much you can afford to spend, but i would suggest thinking ahead and buying something you'll be satisfied with for a decent length of time, instead of throwing down some $$ and thinking, i'll need something else next year. y'know?

i would recommend a head/cabinet setup instead of a combo because of the greater volume, flexibility and expandability. (only if you have the $ for it though) look into carvin, peavy, and fender. as well as hartke. you can have a head/cab setup for less than 1000 bux.

if your price range is lower than that, still check those brands for combos, but also eden cxc, nemesis, swr workingman's series, GENZ-BENZ (often overlooked but really nice), and maybe some gallien-krueger combos. good luck!

oh, buy as many watts as you can afford, but not at the expense of sound quality - let your ears be the judge! go to guitarcenter, musician's friend, sam ash, or somewhere that carriies many brands and try everything out with your own bass. it's kind of fun and also an eye opening experience.
  3. loudmouth

Mar 22, 2001
    i will be playin rock music. and i only have about 600 to spend. i waaas thinkin of a peavey tnt its 150 watts and i think it might be ok.