1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

new amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jtd125, May 6, 2002.

1. jtd125

jtd125

Mar 16, 2002
    Agoura Hillis, CA
    whats going on every one. its new amp time. i got $1400 what is good. thanks

2. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    JTD-

We're going to have to have more info on what you're looking for, such as:

What type of music do you play?

What "sound" are you looking for?

Do you want a head/cab setup, or do you prefer combo's?

Any other info that could give us an idea of what you're looking for will be a big help.

3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    like i always say go look at carvin.
    i was at samash and the nicest amp setup i played on was a hartke head and a fender 410 and a fender 15. sounded better than all of the gk the swr's. it was like they were built for each other.
    i mean awsome! and plenty loud. go for a hartke 7000 and then a 410 and a 15 if you want to save money go with avatar. they sound awsome also. just do a search for them on here and nothing but good!

4. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Spend money on a clean power supply and quality cabinets. Those should be your priority.

Between $400-$700 you can get a Carvin or QSC power amp, both good deals with loads of power. QSC RMX2450 is a powerful mofo.

I like the 210/115 setup I use for cabs. The 210 gives you a portable small room rig. The 115 make for a nice stack. I use BagEnd Cabs. You can plan on spending about $400-$600 per cab. You can start off with one and add the other later.

You'll also need a Pre amp - Ampeg SVP-Pro. Good value, all the tone variation you'll ever need. About $475

For New equipment, you can probably count on speding all $1,400 and still need a second cab.

Look on E-bay or other used sources. You could probably get a monster rig like this for around $1000 including both cabs.

5. jtd125

jtd125

Mar 16, 2002
    Agoura Hillis, CA
    Hunter-

I play in a band that has 2 guitarist and a loud drummer. my band has many styles. jazz funk rock blues. we do a bid of everything. I ave been looking around a bit and i saw the SWR super red head combo. does anyone know anything about it? as for sound, i really dont care as long as it doesnt sound bad. Thanks

6. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Everyone else will think I am on crack but I do not like the Super Redhead Combo. My opinion is you should go with Hartke, get the HA7000 with a 4x10 and a 1x15.

7. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    go with the hartke and the 410 and the 15
    the red head didn't sound bad but not really good
    over priced