Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by philwill1, Jul 8, 2002.

1. philwill1

philwill1

May 11, 2002
    Clinton, KY
    Hi to all,
    I'm looking for a little help. I've been playing bass for seven months now(played keyboards in a band and at church for 7 years prior to switching) and I've fallen in love with it.
    I started out with a beginner bass Rogue lx200b and a crate bx 100 combo amp. I am ready to upgrade and my ear has developed to the point where I can tell the difference in sound.

I've been checking out some different basses and amps and have decided to get a fender MIM standard jazz. But I'm still not sure about the amp.
    I'm not ready for a stack and may never need one. I'm not sure. I play in church and in a small praise group at other local churches. We don't really play to large crowds or in large buildings (one time we played in a small auditoriium{about 200 People]) If we are lucky we may have 75 people at best usually. I play mostly black quartet music and some times black contemporary gospel although I have not learned to slap yet. I listen to groups like the Canton Spirituals, Lee Williams, Jackson Southeiares. In black gospel the bass takes a lot of the lead and is very hard driving so you need something that is powerful enough to be heard over drums and guitar and tight vocal harmonies.
    I want a combo and so far I've narrowed it down to the Fender bassman 400 and gk 1000rb. Any comments,suggestions, yays or nays would be welcomed. Or any suggestions as far as other combos would be greatly appreciated.
    And yes I have tried some great sounding cabs like the swr tower of power with a couple of ampeg 500 watt amps and swr 700 amps. fantastic but toooooo big and cumbersome for my car.
    thanks for your help.

2. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Have you considered the Nemesis 210 or the Ampeg BA-210SP (or BA-115SP)? These are all nice, fairly small combos that are not outrageously expensive.

3. The SWR Workingman combos are pretty sweet - check those out.

4. philwill1

philwill1

May 11, 2002
    Clinton, KY
    I checked out the workingman 15 and it was nice but I think I want more power. In fact I know I do.
    I want to get an amp that will be enough for the next 5 years or so. I found out when I got the crate bx 100 that 100 watts was fine when I started now as I get better I want more umph and clarity. And the 100 watts won't cut it with a loud drummer and a lead and rythem guitar players with a 130 watt twin 12" celestial speaker. I get drowned out and the vocalist is singing thru a 800 watt pa. So I need something that I can play low when necessary and crank it when necessary and be heard clearly with out all the distortion. I can kinda crank the crate but it sounds terrible when I pump it up over 7 and sometimes around 5 it distorts and just sounds like I don't know what. I have not checked out the eden's yet but I defintely will.

5. philwill1

philwill1

May 11, 2002
    Clinton, KY
    The ampeg ba 115 was nice but I had the same problem with it that I have with the crate. Not really enough thump in crunch time. I have not checked out the 210 yet.

6. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I'm a little confused now. At first I thought I heard you say that you were playing for fairly small crowds etc. But now you mention pretty high wattage for the guitars and vocals. If you are really dealing with this much volume, you may want to investigate the "stack" option now. If possible, try to have more power than you need as this extra headroom will enable you to actually play some accents rather than just running full blast all the time.

7. philwill1

philwill1

May 11, 2002
    Clinton, KY
    Hey you hit the nail on the head (or something like that)
    I don't need all that power all the time just some time when we get a good engagement which happens only about once every three months.
    Plus I think I'm becomeing a power freak.
    I would like a stack but just don't have a way or the back to haul that right now.
    That's why the gk 1000rb was so appealing.
    Power without the excess.
    It sounds good and it is not that big ditto for the bassman 400..
    I am going to check out the ampeg 210 though

8. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Can't you take a nice combo - eg one of thoise mentioned above, or a PEavey TNT150 or something and DI it out through the PA???

If you can't beat 'em - join 'em!:)

9. you may want to take it from some of us who have gone through the combo thing, starting out, and have continually moved up to more powerful combos, and finally to stacks. Why? (you ask), a few reasons....

1. Combos are heavy. Not necessarily heavier than a 4x10 cab, but a powerful one is always very heavy.

2. Power. I have played through, and owned, some very loud 100 watt combos (Ampeg B100R), and others in the 200-300 watt range. Unfortunately, though this generally gives the VOLUME I need, it doesn't always, and it doesn't have the HEADROOM I need. This is what I hear you talking about, headroom. The problem with not having enough juice is that it forces you to attack the strings harder, and you don't get the clean volume and dynamics that you probably wish you had. I like to be able to play with a soft touch, but it's just not possible if you're underpowered. Truly, it's hard to have too much power for bass. I have 350 watts right now, but 1000 would allow me to SOUND better/cleaner, even though I don't necessarily need more volume.

10. philwill1

philwill1

May 11, 2002
    Clinton, KY
    So Mark your saying that I should just skip the combos and go to a stack.
    I've tried some at GC and Mars music and I was just awed at how great they sounded without me having to break a finger to get volume.
    But the only one that really impressed me was the swr tower of power with an ampeg B5r head I believe. I may be incorrect about the head. It was fantastic. But I don't know If could lug that sucker around. This darn crate is like a tank in size and weight. I think the watts limit on the swr was 800. Which should be more than I need. Do you have any recommendations for something a little less heavy with similar or somewhat slighter power.