Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jonasp, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Hello...

Right now, im in a band. The Lunchbox Jalapeno Popper All-Stars. Anyway, i need a new amp. My Peavey Microbass if just fine, but i NEED more power. Im looking at a ROGUE RB-50B 50w bass combo. Does anyone know if this is a good amp? Im on a budget (like most musicians), so if this is a good amp, let me know or give me some suggestions. Thanks, Pete-the-bass

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

First of all, I would not recommend that you buy any Rogue amp. Chances are that it will not be any louder than your Peavey Microbass amp, and it certainly will not sound as good. How much money do you have to spend?

Second of all, we have a Forum just for Amps, which is where I am moving this.:)

3. what kind of music do you play or will you want to play? personally, i LOVE my ampeg B-100R. it's loud, much louder than some would think for a 100-watt combo, has a terrific, smooth tone, and has the awesome retro look too that will grab a lot of attention. however, if you're playing more agressive metal-type stuff, ampeg may not be your kind of sound, in which case i'd recommend an SWR workingman's combo, maybe the 10 or 12 if you're looking at 50 watt amps...it's got kind of a more hi-fi sound is i guess the best way i can describe it. if both of those are too expensive, check out crate amps...i'm not a huge fan of em, but they sound fine, i guess, and are usually a little less expensive.

Joel

4. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    Carvin has a 160w 1x15 combo... you cant buy them in stores you have to order them... but i have never head a bad story about a carvin... the thing is only 399$ and that is awsome for a combo like this... NEVER GO ROGUE UNLESS YOU ARE LIVING IN THE DOWNTOWN APARTMENTS WITH 325 A MONTH RENT AND BUMS PISSING ON YOUR DOOR STEP.....or if ur just a cheap mofo, go a head with the little 50w rogue... but.... go carvin Here is the 160w amp

Here is the carvin 100w

Here is the smallest 100w

I hope I have helped forever keep you away from rogue.

5. I only want to spend about $100-$150. Any suggestions now?

6. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    heh heh... u wont be able to practice and sound decent with any thing that cheap:(

7. Save you $$. You will need to spend at leadt 450 for a good combo. :(

8. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    450$ my foot.... go Carvin....299$.....160w 1x15 combo.... look at all those amps i gave u a link to u silly goose.

9. well...i really dont need anything big. My band mates have a 50w Crate and a 30w Fender. I have a few questions. What are the best brands? are they the most expensive ones? Also, are Rogue amps really that bad?

10. You will find that bassplayers need a LOT more power than a guitar player ever will. I saw somewhere that you might need at least 2 times the power of the guitar amps maybe even more.

There are no best brands everybody has their own preferences. Like I like Ampeg and someone else here likes Aggies

Yes Rogue is BADD.... stay away from them like the plague. or the ebola virus etc...

(i say get an ampeg amp with 150+watts, but thats my opinion!!!)

11. anyone know if gorilla amps are any good?

12. oh and how about JOHNSON? they any good?

13. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    man, stay away from Rouge.

i dont think johnson makes bass amps.

all i can say is.... youll prolly need about 100 watts or so, so save your pennies, see if your parents can help, and check out used gear. thats all i got

good luck

14. embellisher

General rule of thumb, if you are playing loud music with distorted guitars, you need at least 3 times the wattage of your guitarist to be heard. So, if one of your guitarists has a 50 watt amp, you need 150 watts. It's that simple.

Gorilla is in the same league with Rogue, to be avoided like the plague. I've never seen a Johnson amp.

If you look around, you can find an old used Peavey, Fender or Crate 100 watt amp for $150. Maybe not quite as loud as you need, but a heck of a lot closer than a rogue.

15. embellisher

That amp says 120 watts peak, which means when driven hard at 10%(or more) THD. It's probably more like 50 or 60 useable watts.

16. yeah...i know that it would only be about 50 to 60 watts. Do you think i should go with that or save up for something little bigger and better? i think if i go to a pawn shop or music-go-round i could find a better deal.

17. i say save up some more dough... Johnson makes basses i believe? and they are very low down on the list as beginners... i wouldn't trust them to make a very good amp.

save up and get something bigger and better.

18. thanks for all of your help!