1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eltweeno, May 3, 2010.

1. Eltweeno

Eltweeno

Apr 26, 2009
    Hey.

I am looking at getting a gigging amp, preferably a separate amp/cab as opposed to a combo.

I am racking my brains at the moment on what to get. At the moment I am playing medium sized venues but I want something with some umpf but still sounds nice when playing something a bit more funky. I'll have a pedal to switch to different sounds but I need an amp/cab that can handle something heavy but also have a funky pop when needed.

So far I have been looking at Trace Elliot, or would anyone recommend something else? Also I am not quite sure what size to go for. I was thinking 300ish watt amp and a 4x12 cab? Any ideas would be much appreciated.

El Tweeno
    bass player - Crunk City

2. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Where'd you come up with the idea for a 4x12 cab? They're out there, but they're a small minority when it comes to bass cabs.

3. I'd get a neo loaded 212... easy to load in/out and definitely will fill a medium sized venue.

Edit: what's your budget?

4. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Marshall do have 4x12 bass cab.

Never play one so i don't know how good it is.

5. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Well If i were you i would look into a GK 700rb II Head!!!...Nice lil 480 watt head at 4 ohms.....And boy can they handle... By far on of the loudest 480 watt head you will ever play through...and they can do it all Funky pop..or heavy....you will not be disappointed. I play the big brother to that head the 700watt 1001rb II....Well lets just say.... like i always do it will make most 1000 watt heads out there Shake and sit up and take note...it will rock your World!!... and as for cabs well I will just say 10's....The more you can get the better!!!...i have 8 of them and they will knock a drummer of his seat!!! Best of luck Mate!!! Cheers ~ Elliot

6. Eltweeno

Eltweeno

Apr 26, 2009
    Well a friend used to talk to me about his 4x12 which is probably where I got it from. But as I said open to suggestions.

erm budget is £400-500, looking on the used market as it seems I will get a lot more for my money.

Thanks all so far.

7. muddycreek

muddycreek

Feb 26, 2010
    If there's any way to get to a music store and play whatever they have lying around, you'll get a much better idea of what is out there and what's possible. That way, when you try out used stuff, you'll have a frame of reference.

ANY (reliable) head over a couple/few hundred watts mated up with ANY 410, 212, 412, 210+115, 210+118, 215, 8x8, 610, 810, or any comparable combination will be fine out on almost any gig. I've been perfectly happy with a 500 watt Yamaha 6 channel powered head and a couple of 115+horn wedge monitors.

Anything else is preference, and you have to hear it to prefer it!

Jon