Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rolleharris, Dec 21, 2002.

1. rolleharris

rolleharris

Nov 10, 2002
    Falun Sweden
    I wanna replace my Ampeg Ba-115 with a head and cab setup, do u guy have any advice for me??

2. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    yes i can suggest 2 options:

1 buy a new amp and send your ampeg to me :D

and

2 Buy a new amp and send your Ampeg to me please.

i said please .....

later

3. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Well I'd suggest the Ampeg B2R and one of their 4x10 cabinets. Look on www.musiciansfriend.com , they have a package deal with the B2R and BSE410HLF cab.

4. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    do you like the sound of the 15" speaker in your combo?

if so, i would suggest buying an ampeg 15" cab, or two, and powering them with a more powerful ampeg head. how many cabs, and how big the head would depend on your budget... if you dont mind us asking... how much do you want to spend?

if you like the ampeg sound, but not the sound of 15s, then yeah, the ampeg 410 would be a good option too, powered by a similarly powerful ampeg head.

the best way to find out if you like the sound of ampeg, and if you prefer 10s, 15s, or a combination of the two is to go to your nearest retailer that carries them, and try a few out. if you have a guitar center nearby they have been known to have huge setups of ampeg rigs in their bass rooms.

5. rolleharris

rolleharris

Nov 10, 2002
    Falun Sweden
    My budget is around 1000-1500$, i want to have a 4/10 cab

6. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    with your budget, I would personally find a highly efficient 410 (eden, SWR, or genz benz come to mind) and either a preamp/poweramp setup or a head with close to 1000 watts for a good amount of clean headroom.

i personally like the front ported eden cabs a lot (XLT, XST) and not the rear ported ones. The SWR goliath 3 is a good cab, but i dont really like the harshness in the SWR tone. ive been told it can be remedied by turning the tweeter down or off. i dont like the workingmans stuff. Genz benz strikes me as a relatively new company with little name recognition but a good product. I like their XB2 cabinets and plan on buying a 610 in the near future.

as far as heads go, i really like my carvin R600, and wouldnt hesitate to buy an R1000. I also like the more powerful ampeg heads. i personally prefer solid state vs. tubes. (i dont even use the tube preamp on my R600 much)

for a pre/power setup I would be happy with an ampeg SVP, and a large poweramp ( i have had good experiences with carvin, QSC, and crest)

just all in my experience (not a lot) and my opinion (way too much)