New Ampeg Combos v. PF Series

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BigDanT, Nov 25, 2015.

Tags:
  1. BigDanT

BigDanT Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I'm sure there are some Ampeg aficionados out there who can answer this, so thanks in advance.

I was in GC yesterday and they had some of the new Ampeg combos. I plugged in and tried one out and it had a really nice sound to it that I would describe as deep and kind of grindy (technical terms I know).

I used to have a PF head and 1x15 cab and I moved it along because I thought it was pretty sterile sounding. Not at all like the combo I tried.

So my question is... Was I just hearing things or are the guts of the new combos different or have different characteristics than the PF heads??

2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Wait, a PF series "sterile" sounding, really? I have never heard one described that way. Did you try the combo with your own bass, can make a big difference (good or bad).

3. BigDanT

Aug 26, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Maybe sterile isn't the best word to describe what I felt about he PF series. To me it just didn't have a real warmth to it. There was nothing remarkable about the tone to me and it certainly didn't sound like the combo I tried.

I did not try the new combo with my own bass, which certainly could make a big differnce but I did try it using two different basses and I also a-b'd it against a fender v3 rumble which is what I have now.

4. B-string

You really need to try with your own bass. It may be your bass doesn't "get along" as you like with the Ampeg tone stack. The tone character starts with your bass (and your hands), could be the new combos are not all that different from the PF?

5. BigDanT

Aug 26, 2011
    Indianapolis
    That's a good point. I was just struck by how different they sounded and thought there might be a difference in the electronics.

6. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    Maybe the setting had something to do with it too.
    You can set a PF amp to sound very clean as well as warm etc etc.
    It's quite a versatile amp, IMO.

7. B-string

@JimmyM or @hodgy stopping by may be of greater help in your quest?

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I have no problem getting the sounds I want out of either of them, but yeah, the combos probably are a little more edgy sounding than the PF heads and cabs, plus they have a built-in overdrive circuit you can switch in and out with a separate footswitch or with the switch on the front panel. But you can crank the gain in the PF heads past 1:00-2:00 and get some gnarly grind tones that way as well.

9. BigDanT

Aug 26, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Guys. Thanks for the feedback. I have to say I was pretty impressed with the Ampeg combos. I really like my Rumble but these just have a different "flavor" to them.

10. you could just be hearing things, but not having really played the new ampeg combos I couldn't tell you. I can tell you that I really like my PF head, but if it's not your cup of tea and you prefer the combo, more power to you.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021