Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Ampeg Head or add a Poweramp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sanctum, May 13, 2002.

1. So I've decided my SVTIIIPro doesnt give me enough (any) headroom with my two cabs. I was thinking about getting an SVT4Pro for the power and bi-amp capabilities. Thats some bucks. So maybe just a poweramp and keep the SVTIIIPro preamp. Whatcha dudes think? Any poweramp recommedations? I'd like to get up to the 800-1000 watt range.

Cheers

Greg

2. ok i forgot to mention something. I am clipping the SVTIII Pro a lot, that is to say, if I want more volume to cut the mix, the amp clips, so of course I cant do this. Am I making sense, its early and the coffee hasnt set in :)

so if i get a poweramp, will this take care of the clipping prob, or is the preamp still going to clip? I wouldnt think so, but thought I'd ask ;-)

Greg
    needing more coffee

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    When the power amp clips it means it is running out of headroom. It would be cheaper to add an additional power amp to your rig, and if you ever decide you are tired of the Ampeg tone, you could add any pre-amp you want. The QSC RMX1450 is a relatively inexpensive power amp. Bridged it will give you 900 watts at 8ohms, and 1400 at 4ohms. Very clean sounding. It is a great power amp though it weighs a bit(40lbs). Check it out!:)

4. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    A modest power amp and another speaker cab should solve your volume problem quite nicely. More power alone probably won't.

Strangely enough, just adding another cab might work, if your current amp can drive another cab.

5. uh, i already have two cabs a 4x10 and a 1x18, so I fail to see how adding another cab is going to help my volume if the head cant power these two enough :)

I'm also wondering if I add a poweramp, can I run one cab off the poweramp and one off the SVT's poweramp. The manual doesnt say if using the poweramp out from the SVT defeats the built in poweramp. Does anyone have any experience here?

thanks

greg

6. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    I think your idea should work just great.. bridge the SVT into one cab, and run your poweramp into another cab. I suggest getting a poweramp that's much more powerful than you need right now, so that you can use it all by itself in the future.

Try carvin or mackie poweramps.

7. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    I've owned a few SVT-3 Pro's, and let me tell ya, there is no comparison between it and the SVT-4 Pro. Way better tone, and GREAT power and headroom. Sell your SVT-3 Pro on Ebay, and look for a clean used SVT-4 Pro.

Good luck.

Nick

8. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    I find that hard to believe, considering that they both have the same preamp section. Maybe the sound just seemed better when the amp had more headroom.

9. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    Falsehood

The SVT-3 pro and SVT-4 PRO do NOT have the same preamp at all. 3-12ax7 preamp tubes in the 4 Pro, and 4-12ax7's and 1-12au7 preamp tube in the 3 Pro. The 2 additional tubes in the 3 Pro make that preamp sound mushy. Not at all the case with the 4 Pro.

Get the 4 Pro ! I've used the 4 Pro since 1997, and that adds up to over 500 gigs with no problems.

Nick

10. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    i agree with nick, in that the svt3pro does sound mushy. ive a/b'ed the 3 and the 4, and the 4 sounds WAY better, at least to my ears(though i think others might agree with me) however, my advice is obtain a poweramp, around 1000 watts, i.e. carvin or a qsc plx, and use the svt3pro as a preamp. having a modular rig makes it very easy to upgrade later. i think you *might* be able to use the svt3pro and another poweramp together, by feeding signal to an external poweramp by means of the effects send. to do this, you would need a y-cable, one end to the input of the amp, the other back to the effects return. that should allow you to use both amps at the same time. if this is wrong, someone please correct me, i dont want anyone to blow up their rig.....

11. the effects send? that sounds weird man. I mean, the SVT3 does have a jack for a poweramp :)

Greg

12. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    the preamp signal of the effects send would go into the effects input of another amp to run the different poweramp

but plugging into a "power amp in" disconnects the preamp and is used to run it as a slave amp - sort of the same input as an effects return but that preamp is then out.

13. weird i never heard that before

greg

14. Not to complicate my own thread here, but i do believe the PREAMP sections are the same 3 tubes. The extra 2 tubes on the SVTIII are for the "tube driven solid state poweramp section." As I'm not techie, it seems to me that the SVT4 is lacking these tubes as it has 2 seperate poweramps. I do think the 3 tube preamps might be the same however. Anyhow, I"m no closer to a decision yet, heh.

Greg

15. You get that nifty "tube gain" knob on the SVT III, not on the IV I beleive. Keep it low for a tighter, more "compressed" sound; not so mushy?
    What about keeping your current fav cab and SVT III and just add an active sub in lieu of your 1x18? I am going to do this myself and drive it with my DBX 120XP. That way I still get my fav main tone with the added 'oomph' of some serious subharmonic support. No extra rack BS too...
    There is an SVT IV for $999 at BassNW that I was eyeballing myself; check it out?