New Ampeg Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Macbeth56, Nov 27, 2004.

1. alright fellas, once again am i in a bind.
    Im selling my cabs right now, (ampeg 4x10HE, peavey 15)
    and getting the ampeg 8x10.

my current head, the b2r, won't be lasting long, so soon i will need to by another head.
    my choices-
    Q: Will it sound very good with the 8x10, and will it be enough power?????

the new Ampeg SVT1000 or something like that..
    check it out at pretty neat.
    Q: Enough power????

kinda too much.. but if the others arent good enough.. ill have to shell it out.

please help me.. it drives me crazy.
  2. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I'd go with the svt1000 or whatever it is that thing is awesome.

1000watts for 1000$ 1$ per watt and thats at 4 ohms so you would be PLENTY loud with your 8x10.
  3. thanks man.. i think thats what im going with.
  4. Are you talking about the svp-1600? Which is the poweramp modelled after the svt-4. If you are, you will also need a preamp.
  5. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
  6. wildsponge

Oct 21, 2004
    Novato, CA
    No offense guys but ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FLIPPING MINDS!!?? Solid-state is going to sound bad enough with an Ampeg 810 but DIGITAL!!!?? It's going to sound like absolute crap. Get something with at least preamp tubes. The SVT-4 is pretty killer I owned one myself, but for $100 more you can get the SVT-CL which is the all tube version. It's about 80-90 lbs. If weight is that much of an issue, go with the SVT-4 pro. Also, LOOK USED! SVT-4's often go for between 800-1000 bucks on ebay. Just keep checking on ebay and be patient. Hope your quest for tone goes well. I just don't want you making some of the mistakes I've made in the past.
  7. I played through a GK 1001RB-II and an Ampeg 8x10 at a rehearsal studio with my band recently and it sounded awesome. The GK is a solid state head.... Tubes may get a nice fat "brown" sound but thats not for everyone my friend.
  8. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    What about a power head and an SVP-CL??

If you bought say, a QSC RMX 1450 ($399.99 new) and a new SVPCL ($499.99 new), it'd be about $900 from musiciansfriend. But if you went used..... I'd venture to say $700 max. You'd have power and tone for days.

GK 1001-RBs are very nice as well.
  9. mikeyvr6

mikeyvr6 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin

Sweet Ampeg tubey tone for days, especially through an 8x10. You can do better on those prices too. PM me for more details.
  10. Artisan

Apr 14, 2004
    Tubes are great for guitars, but tube amps utilize an output transformer. Try as they might to avoid it, output transformers soften the leading edge of the waveform, leading to rather indistinct sounding leading edges of bass notes.

Solid-state amps are capacitively coupled. No softening of the leading edge of the wave shape is performed inadvertently.

For me, solid-state is far superior for my style of bass playing than tube amps.

I play in the old school style of the mid 70's, which was lots of bottom and some strident mid range tones. I'm not of the even older style which was all lows.

While I like the modern style of bass for some tunes, I still favor the quick attack of a solid-state amp.

In the old days, when playing bass with lots of lows, the Ampeg 8x10 tended to be muddy and indistinct when playing down low.

With today's treble oriented bass tones, it might be the perfect enclosure. Still, were I running 8x10's, it would have to be in two 4x10 enclosures. I'm too lazy to lift those behemoths any longer.

My Acoustic 301 stays in the music room. If I have to play out, I use a Madison MAB183 1x18 plus HF horn (really small enclosure) for the bottom end and a 2x10 or 4x10 for the highs.

So far, I really like the Carvin R-1000 bass head. Plenty of power, lots of tonal latitude, inexpensive and very portable. I keep my Acoustic 370 ready as a backup.

If I need more power I have a 1,500 watt stereo power amp that I can add to the chain and a few other enclosures to count on.

We are lucky that we live in a time with so many choices in bass amplification.

11. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
  12. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    SVTCL + Ampeg 810 = "the sound"

(and the head is doable for about $1k used)
  13. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Thanks for the compliments..........???? But you have some facts wrong.

Who said "digital"? The SVT-1000 is SS, but not "digital" or "switching".

And, BTW, a lot of "digital switching" amplifiers sound much better than ordinary SS. Fewer odd distortions.

People's tastes differ.....
  14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  15. a QSC RMX 1450 and a SVPCL is the way i'm going very soon.
    gotta wait till tax return... I just bought an Aerodyne Jazz.
    But definetly the way to go, you'll have power and tone! :cool:
  16. Tastes differ and that's cool, but don't slag things you don't understand, just because you prefer something different.

How? (Here's a hint- it doesn't happen, but the 'explanation' should prove interesting.)

UMMM, what's "capacitively coupled?" Most transistors are DIRECTLY coupled to their respective speaker loads. 'Capacitor coupling' is just a fancy way of saying "passive filter" if you mean hooking up a capacitor between the amp and the load.
  17. BigRed

Apr 1, 2004
    Palestine, TX
    I used a Mesa Boogie Buster Bass 200 and Mesa 400+ heads with my SVT810...freakin' awesome.