1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New ampeg speculation - A true B15 Reissue?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by coreyfyfe, Oct 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    So I logged into facebook today and saw this picture from ampeg:

[​IMG]

With the quote:

We like this tube. What Ampeg amp should we use it in? Stay tuned for more sneak peeks of our awesome new amplifier…"

I had heard rumors of a true reissue of the B15 being planned for the heritage series, could this be a sign of good things to come? Or do you think it will be more stuff that misses the mark?

2. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Who knows? The current Ampeg does seem on some course of repentance from the gaffs that LOUD has made as the corporate entity that now runs the brand when it first assumed ownership and killed the intangibles that went with the brand. I'm hoping they find success with trying to restore Ampeg as a brand, something that St. Louis Music had pretty much done fairly well before it was bought out. If they can come up with a new take on the B-15 or any other classic Ampeg tube amp that actually delivers the goods, I'm all for it.

3. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Interesting; does the Heritage Series include any guitar amps?
    While it is clear that Ampeg's history was dominated by great bass amps, one would think that any struggling company might consider the mass appeal of a guitar amp; then again competition is fierce.

A 6SL7 would be the obvious choice for a retro B-15, although I would think thae market wants more power; but maybe for a small guitar amp.

4. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    6SL7 is used as a preamp tube, and therefore has nothing to do with power output.

5. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Right but it was used in the B15, and the rumor was that a true B15 reissue was coming (ie 30 watts, not 60/100 like the old B15R).

However, to that point, there have been a few small-output tube bass amps coming to market recently (Ashdowne little bastard, I think others?), as well as the flood of low watt-class A guitar amps (epiphone, mesa, vox, bogner, jet city, marshall, egnator, ibanez, kustom, blackheart, and a few others). They may be targeting a small market with a true-to-form modern version, kind of like they did with the heritage SVT-CL.

And they did have some guitar amps that used 6SL7s as well, but the picture was clearly an upright tube based upon the printing that is mounted onto a chrome housing. Looks a lot like a B15 to me (minus the bear trap).

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    well i guess it's official now. let's just hope they don't blow it.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    ampeg dropped all their guitar amps and now only makes bass amps. no doubt it's because pyotr belov doesn't want ampeg competing with his blackheart guitar amps.

btw, the fact that people are still buying used b-15's in significant numbers proves there's still a market for one, even in this day and age of ridiculous power. as long as they don't blow it by making a crappy version of it, i think it'll sell.

8. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Didn't know the 2 were connected, but the theory is certainly believable.
    Did they do a good job with Blackheart; have never heard one live?

9. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Wow, every studio in the US would probably buy one IF they can nail the tone of the originals.

I'd love a small tube bass amp for my home and home studio. If they can do for bass what the little Epiphone and Blackheart amps are for guitar I'd be a happy man. Hopefully with a lowish price too...
    I have the little Epiphone Valve Junior 5w combo for guitar, and it's insanely good.
    How about a little 10w, 1x10 or 1x8 combo for bass? I had the SS GK combo back in the 80s when they first came out (I think that was a 12"...can't recall), very nice sound but a real tube combo would be great.

10. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Good eye!

11. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    As long as it's not crappy OR costs 3x what a used one does...

12. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Probably won't sell anywhere near the old price either ! :bawl:

13. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    I'm guessing somewhere between 1500 and 2000 $ (which will be the same amount in euros).

? :)

I hope they are going to do it.

14. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

I think if they do introduce a "new" B15 the price point will be what makes or breaks it. Even though I own B15 I'd never be able to gig with it. Up here decent PA support is few and far between.

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Keep watching the Ampeg social media sites. They are going to be dropping more hints... :ninja:

16. Farfetched

Farfetched

Jan 7, 2009
    Yea thats pretty much the sad part, even if they do get the tone spot on, it'll probably still cost more than a very good conditioned vintage one. Wasn't the b-15r about 2g when they sold it in stores?

17. i really hope this is a b-15 that stays true to the original, but im sure it will be double the cost of an original, which i dont understand. these should go for $1300 in stores, not $2300.

18. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    I would totaly buy one at around $1500, any more than that no thanks.

19. Giorgetto

Giorgetto Fingers on 4 Flatwounds

Dec 29, 2008
    Third rock from the sun
    Artist Relationship: Wilkins-Ampeg-La Bella
    I'm not surprised at the speculation that Ampeg is planning to re-introduce an updated version of the B15 Portaflex. I used a B15S with an Altec 421 back in the '70's and it was one of the best sounding amps I've ever owned and especially useful in the studio. I have always regretted selling mine due to its' weight. I should have kept it to use in my practice room/home studio.

20. +1 I would love one if they make it reasonably affordable, but what is the real demographic for this Amp and how much disposable income could they drop.

My guess is it will be great and costly.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.