1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Ampeg V-4B with...2x12 or 4x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sauron_, Dec 22, 2018.

1. I'm almost sold on getting this head as I play in a Pop-Indie band with just one guitar player (Fender Twin red knob amp) and a soft handed drummer, volume is not an issue (I'm using a Peavey TNT115 combo now with no problem). I use Gibson EB14 5 strings only.

But...I have to decide between the Heritage 4x10hlf and the 2x12av. Wich cab do you think suits better that head?
    I had a Markbass 2x12 with a little Mark head and ended selling it because I didn't dig the 2x12 tone (or maybe was the head?). Also, I find easier to lug around the 4x10 due to the wheels and handle...
    In the other hand the 2x12av was created to fit that head, and all reviews are great...

You can listen to my band on my signature.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Both will work fine with it, but I prefer the 212av because despite the 410hlf being a Heritage and a definite cut above the standard 410hlf, it goes too low for my tastes. I like cabs with a little less low end response like the 212av.

3. Mmmm...same here, didn't thought about it but you're right...thank you JimmyM!!

JimmyM likes this.
  4. Lovep

Lovep Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I’ve owned both...the 212AV is great! The 410HLF is nice but it goes a bit to low and sounds too scooped. If I only played R&B and Hip-Hop, I would go with the 410HLF...

5. Another vote for the 2 12. I recently picked one up and have had a chance to use it now with both of my bands. One is a Classic Rock band with two guitars and a pretty punchy drummer and with my PF 500 pushing the 2 12 I have tons of headroom to spare. The other is a blues band with one guitar and amplified two piece brass section. Same deal there. If you are worried that the 2 12 won't get loud enough for you , I wouldn't. My 2 12 is replacing an 8 10e and as I said , it gets plenty loud. Sounds as good as the 8 10 too. As to transporting it , get a small foldable hand truck from Home Depot , drag around a full size hand truck (my option at the moment) or stick a set of wheels on it as I plan to do in the near future. I prefer the 4" wheels (they roll easier) and it only takes about 20 minutes to install them.
    Two swivel wheels , two standard wheels , 16 one inch lag bolts , a small drill , and a wrench , socket and ratchet are all you need.

6. Thank you guys, it seems that the 212av is the best option.

7. Funkabilly

Funkabilly

Aug 11, 2015
    Richmond Ky
    +1 on the 212AV! I like it much better than the 410Hlf I had.

Lovep and Sauron_ like this.
  8. Just a quick follow up on the Ampeg 2 12. Mine did seem to require a "break in period." It sounded a bit sterile out of the box. About two hours at gigging volumes was when it really came alive. My poor 8 10 hasn't seen any stage time since I got the 2 12. I will pull it back out for any big outdoor gigs.........or maybe if I feel the need to terrorize my guitar players.;)

Sauron_ likes this.