Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Ampeg V4-B head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jimfriar, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Until recently - I had really no access to any higher priced Ampeg stuff. A store got a new V4-B head in this week - with a 610 Ampeg cab. I tried it - and it sounded killer - but I wonder - was it maybe the cab ? It is priced at a grand - which seems pretty cheap for an Ampeg all tube head. I use an older Mosfet model Hartke 3500 right now - but am looking for a tube amp replacemnt. Are the V4-B a pretty good product - or - are they frowned upon as a low end Ampeg ?

2. I think the V4-B is usually seen as an option for a lower priced, lower wattage replacement for people looking for SVT tone. Some people find it too low wattage for their situations but some people find it perfect. It is a good quality head. I played one through a SWR Henry the 8x8 that didn't do it justice, I would've liked to play it through and 8x10 or 2x15.

Is there any way to try another head with the cab, to find out if it is the cab?

3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    'Back in the day', I had a V-4, (guitar model... essentially the same amp then, just with reverb), and it was a smokin' rig... 100 WAY LOUD Ampeg Tube watts... Last night, doing a mix-down of a demo CD... The front half of the studio is an amp repair shop, with a mid-seventies V-4B... 100 WAY LOUD Ampeg Tube watts... I am so jonesing for one of these that I just may try the newer ones to see if they have the touch... Into a 2X15 cab, there would be some serious air moving... It would easily be loud enough for my current needs, (or any band I can see myself playing with in the future :D )

-robert

4. :p

I'm sitting here, taking a break from some song practice...using my '71 V4, perched on top of an ancient Sunn 2x15 loaded with JBLs... :D