Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Dec 30, 2001.

1. Just thought i would bring all of your attention to the new Ampeg SVT-5Pro. It doesn't personally interest me, but still, thought you guys would like to be aware. Check it out at http://www.ampeg.com

2. It looks like it would make a good practice/bedroom amp. :D

Mike J.

3. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    I'll stick with my Eden WT-600 anyday over an Ampeg head. I've had my share with those heads and at first they impressed me but as time went on, they do not....

When was the last time someone saw an Eden ad? Do these guys not need ads to sell??????

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Hmm, looks sorta interesting, but I think I will stick with my SVT4Pro.

5. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    looks cool... 2 channels on a head like that would fill a niche... interesting how its looking sorta like a guitar head, but I think its cool. If i had the need to switch from distorted to clean, and coudn't afford two preamps, that looks like the way to go.

6. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    yeah I saw it on the site like a week ago and thought to myself, jeez the poor schmuck that just bought a SVT-4PRO must be feelin' like an ass now. Its just another blatant attempt to convince consumers to shop Ampeg product, since the recent decline in purchases.

7. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    I heard that same "rumor" about ampeg sales dropped a bit. But I do see a lot of "rock star" status bassists using Ampeg gear...they sure advertise a lot in BP mag and the such.

8. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Personally, I'd still rather have a 4Pro, the 5Pro seems kinda like a step backward to me - the 4Pro has more power and more tubes. So why is this called the 5Pro seeing as it's actually a lesser amp than the 4Pro? (In my opinion of course) About the only real difference that I see is that the 5Pro has a distortion circuit (did it have an octave circuit too?) while the 4Pro does not. Then again, the 4Pro has a graphic EQ while the 5Pro does not.

9. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    *cartman voice on*

Aye!! :mad:

*cartman voice off*

my SVT-4PRO has more power AND more 12AX7 preamp tubes! :D

There, now I feel good about myself again. ;)

10. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    By the way, if a mod were to change the name of this thread to "Ampeg's New SVT-5 PRO" it would probably get more response.

11. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Hey lo-end, I didn't mean the 4PRO sucks, totally the opposite. I think it is one hell of a head, and is very worthy. I was just implying that when the 5PRO came out, those trendy, always-in-the-new-gear type of bassists would be pist because they just missed the NEW, which doesn't make a difference to me, SVT-5PRO. Personally, I do agree with White Knight and Ryan Lunneborg. The SVT-4PRO is the pinnacle of the Ampeg new SVT series, no questions.

That make you feel better, buddy? I didn't mean to put the 4PRO down. :)

12. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Personally, I'd rather have the Gallien-Krueger 2001RB, which also has a separate distortion channel.

13. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    That is pretty much my reasoning behind saying that I would stick with my 4Pro.;)

Sounds like the 5Pro has a couple more gizmos and gadgets, but that seems to come at the expense of less power, less tubes, (is it bi-amp capable?). So, I guess if I want gizmos and gadgets, I will buy pedals.:p

14. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    They did the same thing in the solid state amp series with the B5R. I own the B4R. While the B5R sounds good it also has less power than the B4R but with more gizmos and effects. :confused:

15. Looks like a fun little toy, looks like it lacks tone control though...