Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Ampeg!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by keithconn, Feb 13, 2002.

1. Waahoooo! I just got my new Ampeg B100r combo. It sounds great! I had been playing through some complete peice of junk and when I turned the Ampeg on I got worried because I didn't hear any cracking and fuzzy noise! Oh does this thing sound sweet!

I am playing my new Fender P Special through it and it sounds awsome!

Anyone else out there using this amp that could offer some advice on using it to its full capacity?

Thanks a lot!
    K.

2. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Hey Keith, congrats man. You sound about as amazed as I did when I got mine. My Fender Jazz and Stingray sound incredible through it. These things are almost a steal at the price they're selling them for. Enjoy!!!

3. Keithconn, as a proud B100R owner, I'd like to welcome you to the club. As you now know first hand, this has got to be one of the best sounding combos in the world. I'm not knocking any other amps, but, this amp has just what a lot of people need. No bells or whistles, just great tone.

BTW, the guy that convinced me into buying mine is directly above me in this thread. Hey Rayzak, how've you been? Good to hear from you again. I have to thank you everytime our paths meet because I am so happy with this amp. Everytime I plug in, it's tone heaven. Later guys.

Mike J.

Opps! Almost forgot your question. All I can say is: Keep the gain up (I have mine on 10) and play with the low and high mid controls. Different settings make a big difference.

4. Duff_Man182

Duff_Man182

Jul 28, 2001
    Miami,Fl USA
    woooohoooo another b100r owner. u have bought urself a damn good amp. i keep the gain at 10 also. as michael said just screw around with the knobs...you'll find your signature tone in no time. i play my fender jazz through it and it sounds AWESOME.these r what i usually have my controls on.

ultra mid on
    gain 10
    bass 8
    low mid 3
    high mid 10
    treble 8

try it and see if you like
    :D

5. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    you shouldnt keep the gain in "10" all the time unless we are talking about two different B100Rs here (i have one)

you should keep the high enough so the red light flashes sometimes but is mostly green

again, i could be wrong about my amp (i *think* its a B100R :p)

6. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    I bought a B100 R 2 weeks ago.....
    What an amp.....and what a price.....
    I play DB and still the tone is amazing, this is by far one of the best combos ever made .
    I played in amps priced 3X more that couldnt even compete with this great amp

N.A.

7. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Hey Mike, I never get tired of hearing about how happy you are with your amp. I'm so glad you love it. What did you end up doing with your Fender amp?

8. Basslax, I read the owner's manual, but, the green light almost never comes on. Maybe I just have a light touch? If I slap (rarely) then it comes on.

Rayzak, the Fender is still in the basement. I'm still so miffed at it for letting me down, I don't even want to look at it. But, then again, if it hadn't failed, I'd never have bought the Ampeg! ;)

If I upgrade (not soon) I think I'd still go with an Ampeg head, although some of the comments I've heard here about Carvin are getting me interested.

Later,
    Mike J.

9. The green light never comes on for me either! I can get it to work if I play real hard, but other than that those lights stay off ...

10. Congrats! You have joined the ranks of B-100Rs. I've got one that I've had for over 3 years. It is a keeper and I still use it a lot. Band practices, small gigs, jams, etc. It's a jewel. Even though I've got several heads that are far more powerful, when I can get away with using the B-100R, I use it. It's tone is the closest thing you can find to a B-15 and that, in my book anyway, is good. If I could afford a B-15, I'd probably buy one, but, the B-100R will definitely do.