1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Ampegs what would you like to see?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Red Planet, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Hey thanks PIW!

Passinwind likes this.
  2. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Contrary to many in this thread I though a lot of the modern SWR products were very nice. The M2 preamp was awesome, the sealed 4x10 NEO light cab, the Golight Series of cabs. I wish I would have gotten a pair of the 1x12 Golights, I would still have them. The Amplites and Headlites I thought were very cool.

3. Gremson

Gremson

Mar 22, 2012
    North-Leftern USA
    Since Yamaha now owns both Line 6 and Ampeg, I'd love to see more bass specific modeling and effects rigs. Floorboards with amp modeling, effects, DI, AND a 500w power amp.

I'd also like a baby bass, please.

Red Planet likes this.
  4. fourstringburn

fourstringburn Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2009
    New Mexico
    Yes sir they do exist, good that you posted that!

Whether or not Amp manufactures are putting those on tube amps is up to the user to check on. I guess if not, they can be changed out if one feels the need. I still say your safer with speakons anyway because as I said earlier they are not likely to get disconnected in the first place. The wires from the terminals could be pulled out if they aren't stripped and tightened correctly but even that is tough to do.

From what RedPlanet said, it seems to be safe with 1/4 inch jacks since they have a shorting feature and are standard jacks used on tube amps.

I would still prefer all amps still have both speakons and 1/4 inch jacks as most of high power ones do these days.

5. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    I'd best not tell you what I paid for my used NV then! :D

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  6. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Tubes/not heavy/inexpensive/made in USA/lifetime warranty
    Is that too much to ask?

AstroSonic likes this.
  7. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    That's sort of like good fast and cheap. Pick any two but you may not have all three. You can have good and fast but it won't be cheap you can have good and cheap but it won't be fast you can have fast and cheap but it won't be good.

BOOG and Korladis like this.
  8. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I’m partial to triads. I’m programmed from long ago in another life to live by the triad. This is just another example.

9. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    My EBS Classic t90 ONLY has Speakons to comply with EU safety standards, which are far more stringent than US standards. To be fair, its an odd amp that was only made in small quantities, but to say "ALL tube amps" is just incorrect. I have no idea if they are shorting jacks.

200watts of tubey goodness into a 215 is an almost ideal set up. I run a Peavey VB2 into an older 215 w/new drivers, and it slays. I'd be interested in an Ampeg version, but frankly, my Peavey gear ran me $750 total (Used), including a new fancy grill cloth :)

10. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta

So if they are not shorting then how safe are they?

11. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    I figure its like a firearm: the primary safety is between my ears :)

shoot-r likes this.
  12. Absence of 'Ampeg tone' so I've got a bigger slab of stone to mold as I see fit. I hate when there's already a big ol' chunk dug out and I'm working with scraps.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Notice their whole line of gear made in that vein was discontinued one by one.

Korladis and Axstar like this.
  14. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Tube preamp in the PF800.

iagtrplyr and BOOG like this.
  15. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I'd like to see a 300 watt SVT all tube that weighs 15 lbs. :D

rodl2005, Jim C and Ric Vice like this.
  16. denhou1974

denhou1974

Mar 6, 2008
    Rackmount tube preamp. They used to sell this, it was the preamp section of the SVT3PRO.

17. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    Actually, I just want the B15R head in the new Portaflex style, that's what I want (really bad) and would buy in an instant.

18. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    Probably because an endless parade of tire kickers noted that "its a nice amp, but it doesn't sound like an Ampeg!"

Wisebass and JimmyM like this.
  19. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Additionally, looking at the frequency response of the V4 and SVT pres, one could say that the "Ampeg sound" is actually way less of a baked in tone than most other tube bass amps. And with those preamps, you can get a ton of different sounds.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    TC.65, Wisebass and JimmyM like this.
  20. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Tubes
    Tubes
    Tubes
    I think it’s safe to say, most of us want tubes. Big tubes. Little tubes. In between tubes. Clean tubes. Baked and dirty tubes. Heavy tubes. Light weight tubes.
    GIVE US OUR TUBES!:hyper:

Wisebass, JimmyM and Lovep like this.