1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Ampegs what would you like to see?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Red Planet, Jun 8, 2018.

1. sowilson

sowilson

Jul 5, 2013
    PF100T (with a link connector)
    That would be fun with two PF-115E cabs , run two stacks for your louder Motown gigs. Selectable power to bring it back to a PF50T

200 Watt SVT. Maybe two channel with one SVT and one V4B channel, selectable power output.

2x12 neo cab (I'm getting too old for this &*((*^ )

2x15 cab - something like the ProCo Sound 2x15 (TL606 base EVM15L loaded) of days gone by but with more modern drivers.

2x15 horn cab - something like the V6B cab but with a Genzler style array to handle mids. Use Neo drivers. Make it driveable from one 1KW class D head or two SVT heads (i.e. option for stereo input). Smaller and different than the fridge but similar authority. Imagine one reasonable 2x15 cab being driven with up to 600 watts of tube goodness - yummy.

GV-22 Guitar amp (2x12, 35watt combo). Most awesome amp ever for playing Brown Sugar on, would be great with pedals, reverb and vibrato included. Either a 2x12 or 1x12. Would be a nice alternatives to Fender's.

Tube pre-amp. A couple of channels of different flavor Ampeg Bass tube preamp goodness.

Stackable tube power-amps. Sold in 100 or 300 watt modules with an interface. Interface would divide up the signal going to the modules, and combine them on return with maybe a max of 10 modules per channel (yes 10x300watts of tubes per channel). Ultimate touring rig. Enough power for us clean freaks. Great for warming up those cold practices halls. Enough Power to kill misbehaved guitar players.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    BOOG likes this.
  2. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Vertical 4x8 8ohm cab with premium drivers.

johnpbass and alaskaleftybass like this.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Exactly!
    Exactly, too. Truth is I've seen the guy's posts and he has no interest in Ampeg, and just likes to take a shot at them every now and then. I was just trying to take the high road with my reply for once in my life :D

4. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

A two channel preamp that's just the front end of the SVT-VR would be cool.

5. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Since Yamaha has a extensive R&D department. I'd like to see a successor to the B-15N using Nanotube technology like the BluGuitar AMP1.

BlueGuitar AMP1.

6. The heck with those puny 200 watt amps, I want to see these reissued:

ampegrig-. 16042-.

Attached Files:

Dave W and Ric Vice like this.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    What makes Nanotube attractive to you? Have to admit to having no experience trying it, but doesn't sound like it's got any advantages over trad SS or real tubes from what I read. But if you know something I don't...

8. Woodstockz

Woodstockz

Sep 23, 2011
    San Diego, Ca
    I love my B15R, but it is over 100 lbs. I almost dropped it once loading it into a SUV. So my request is to lose a few pounds...

Lightweight B15R
    B12R
    Baby bass
    GVT amps.

bobyoung53 and Bass 45 like this.
  9. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    For the not so faint of heart and sturdy of back, reissue the big daddy of them all.... the twin flat back 8-10 cabs ( dolly's included) with modern SVT amp head .

Can you say ROCK n' ROOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLL !!!!!!!!!!!!

bobyoung53 likes this.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    So Yamaha just ramped up the hardcore...Hodgy is leaving LOUD and going to new Ampeg!! He didn't say in what exact capacity he'll be working there, but it must be pretty serious since he's already posed for a new publicity photo. Whatever he's going to be doing, Hodgy has a butt-ton of tech knowledge, plays great bass, and knows what Ampegs should sound like, so this is a great move for all involved. WTG Hodgy!

rodl2005, shoot-r, TC.65 and 9 others like this.
  11. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Rock on Baby!!!

hodgy likes this.
  12. Rumbledore

Rumbledore

Jun 2, 2018
    peninsula
    1U class D power amp with lighted input meter

13. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i've heard them in the little vox amps, they sound and feel a damn sight like the real thing.

some nanotubes in an SVT VR-ish preamp that was the size of and had the same kind of character as a sansamp BDDI? that could be a winner.

Deak and alaskaleftybass like this.
  14. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    A lot of inyteresting ideas but doubt that the demand from the masses would justify a new/modified design enough to impress the marketing dept or the bottom line.
    I hope they leave well enough alone and come up with new creative designs that maintain the Ampeg tone.
    OTOH, leave the current best sellers alone and come up with a 2019 version of their own design that they can brand with the Ampeg logo.
    This keeps those who want the old stuff happy and allows Yamie to be creative.

Inagine a great modeling amp with 800+ watts that was under say $700.

iagtrplyr and Deak like this.
  15. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Listening to the AMP1 it when it distorts it sounds somewhat like a tube amp. It's pretty hard to do that with SS as you tend to hit a brick wall with distortion. Granted, I'm no expert. But I think, this is the possibly the next phase of amp evolution. As much as I like the sound of tubes,
    they are heavy and espensive, and that's from a guy who has a vintage B-15N(C). Just my take, I'm certianly no expert.

Ric

Deak likes this.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well that depends on how attractive you make it, no? I don't think anyone is expecting a total wheel reinvention. Bass amps are still going to amplify bass :D

More of an expert than I am. Well I'm down with improvements in SS as well.

MordBass and BadExample like this.
  17. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    I totally agree. I personally feel like they should take their history as an industry standard and go for a utilitarian, non-flashy, gets the job done, reliable, piece of gear. Id personally love a rack preamp version of the classic tube head thats styled like the old NAD home audio gear. Just basic, black, as few knobs as possible. Would be great for them to sit reliability and cost/performance at the top while ignoring trends and flashy designs.

iagtrplyr likes this.
  18. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

The VR preamp as a standalone pre would be pretty cool. But with both channels.

19. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Excellent idea!! Count me in on that!

Korladis likes this.
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Too bad rackmount pres were such a hard sell when SLM had them. That SVP-CL was world class. It was an exact duplicate of the SVT preamp.

MordBass and Arthur U. Poon like this.