Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new and getting back into it

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Z4NC, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Z4NC

Z4NC

Jul 19, 2003
    I use to play a long time ago, my son and my wife gave me a Schecter bass and SWR 1x15 cab...enough motivation to get me going again..they left the amp for me to choose, it's been a while and alot has change..what amp for under $500 should I consider?...thanks in advance.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hartke 3500...used on eBay for around $300.

-Mike

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    You should easily be able to find an SWR SM400(or SM500) on Ebay. IMO a great amp for the price. The Hartke is great too, but I think the SWR edges out on this one.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    How long ago did you stop playing? What were you using back then and how did you like the sound?

I ask because I was "away" from about 1982 until 1996. It was quite shocking upon my return...all these brands that I had never heard of... About all that was left from "my day" was Ampeg, Gallien-Krueger and Peavey. Lots of good stuff out there now at amazing prices (especially used).

5. Z4NC

Z4NC

Jul 19, 2003
    I stopped playing back in 1989...I used Ampeg amp (100% tube). ..I have the same reaction lot';s of new technology and good stuff out there these days...

Based on input from this forum I'm considering Hartke 3500 and GK400RB-IV..about same price - low 400s..Hartke seems to have packed a few more features like the tube and solid-state preamp stage.

6. Somebassguy

Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    Posts like this always bring a smile to my face. I also returned to playing after a 19 year absence. I was overwhelmed by all these new names to say the least. Schecter basses are VERY nice btw at exceptional prices. What model did you get? I looked at a ton of amps also but finally settled on a Fender Bassman 400 pro. Very impressed with this new generation of Bass amps from Fender so far. My advice, go to your local music store(s) and checkout every head you can find and afford. You will get lots of advice on brand names here on talk bass, some biased, some honest, but ultimately this is a choice only you can make. Remember, half the fun of starting up again is trying out all this new gear. Don't rush and have fun :D

7. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Z4NC...where are you located?

8. Z4NC

Z4NC

Jul 19, 2003
    I'm in North Carolina.

9. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I wondered...

Drive a BMW?

10. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    My wife gave me a s#!t sandwich when I started playing again after a 20 year hiatus.:mad: :confused:

11. Z4NC

Z4NC

Jul 19, 2003
    yes,guess?...a Z4..fun little roadster..with so many forums I tend to use the same ID over an over...easier to remember as you get older.

12. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Cool...so I guess you won't be upgrading from the 1x15 to an 8x10 anytime soon:D

Of course if you hang around here too long you'll have yourself convinced that you need all sorts of stuff;)

13. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    If you live any where near a Guitar center I would say go there and try them out then come back to basstalk and ask for the cheapest place to buy what you like....I prefer EDEN but play what you like the sound of.... Good Luck...News years Eve was my last gig. At least in Night clubs.

14. duncbass

duncbass

Dec 28, 2003
    Sounds familiar. I stopped around '89 or so. Sold my GK800 and Acoustic 2x15. Still need to go try out some new stuff. At least I kept my basses, my Wal ProIIE and a Rick 4000.

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    ditto,

the SM500 is a great amp. had a chance to run thru one, along with a Goliath 4x10 / 1x15 setup, and found it mucho fun! LOTS of musical tone shaping abilities.

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Used Eden WT-400.

17. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    How about the new Yorkville XM-400H. Many good features, good warranty, good sound, great price, how can you lose? Several members here have them and like them.

18. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I second the eden notion

19. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    You better geta couple 10's too, or Munji aint gonna be happy ;)