Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New and igorant.....got a question

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by TarHeel31533, May 12, 2003.

1. Ok guys here's the deal. I got a Fender Bassman 60 amp that I run with my J-Bass. I like it a lot for that use, but it isn't working with my upright. I run an Underwood pickup and just can't get a good sound. At fairly normal levels, the G string (and the all the strings in general) is very boomy. When I turn a few knobs to fix this, the upper register gets very soft. I just can't seem to get any kind of a good sound without comprimising something. So any advice on tuning the amp for a good sound? Its got treble, bass, mid level, and mid prep knobs, along with a general volume knob. Additonally, it has a "enhance" switch, and a passive/active switch. What am I doing wrong? And if it can't be fixed, is there a good, small, relatively cheap amp that will work well with my upright? Thanks...Oh yeah! Forgot to say, I play in a 15/16 piece jazz band as well as a small 4/5 piece combo. In the combo I can play acoustically alright, but for some gigs because of the crappy bass I play, an amp is desirable.

2. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    The missing link in your current setup is a preamp to boost the signal from the piezo pickup. Some amps do not require this kind of device, but I bet the Bassman 60 does not fall in that category.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Agreed. And if that isn't the problem, I'd suggest a different pickup. The amp is probably not a great DB amp, but I'd start further up the signal chain.

4. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    A preamp may help some, but the main difficulty is that this is just not a very Hi-Fi amp. It's very nonlinear, designed to "voice" BG.

5. so would you guys suggest goin for a different amp, is that the best solution cuz i could do that...

6. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Yes, you should consider changing amp, BUT FIRST you got to make sure you get a decent signal so you can test various amps.

Check the Newbie Links: AMPS & PICKUPS section

7. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    You won't be happy until you have found the right upright amp. Unfortunately, that won't be found in the context of most electric amps/cabs. If you're looking for an amp/cab to do both electric and URB you should read some of Chris Fitzgerald's experiences with Euphonic Audio.It's good advice.