New Arrival 9/3/10 - Suhr Classic J (3TSB)

Discussion in 'Rocket Music' started by RocketMusic, Sep 3, 2010.

1. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
  2. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Cool vintage vibe.

3. Joe BassPlayer

Joe BassPlayer Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Oh yeah! That looks familiar for sure. VINTAGE

WHEN I build a Roscoe jazz it will have to an alder body! That stuff just has the traditional vibe.

Post some sound clips when you get a chance. Just don't do a "bass orchestra" version of "One Way Out"! It's next on my radar.
    ....of course I'd love to hear how you approached it. Nothing like healthy competition! :) :bassist:

4. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    I was feeling froggy tonight. The wife and kids are out of town visiting family, so I thought "let's try something new." I setup a rig (Shuttle 9.0 -> Berg HT112ER), broke out my loop station (Boss RC-20), and grabbed this bass. I ran a couple Peluso CEMC6 mics (one on the cab, one on mi boca) into the M-Audio FastTrack Ultra 8R USB interface that goes into the PC and my Sonar Producer 8.5 recording software.

I decided to do a quick Bass Orchestra piece in realtime using my Loop Station. I do this kind of thing all the time when I want to practice and I'm in a hurry. Beats the heck out of playing to a metronome in terms of fun. Anyway, the only Bass Orchestra tricks available to me were using the blend, onboard EQ knobs and where I plucked to try to achieve some EQ separation on the fly. No panning or compression could be added after the fact since all of the bass parts are lumped on one track (the output of the loop station).

The clip is pretty self explanatory, and I jump in with some verbal explanation as needed. Enjoy some funky [del]Friday[/del] Saturday night improv, and I hope you dig the killer tone of this bass!

"3238-LOOP-DEMO"

5. Joe BassPlayer

Joe BassPlayer Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Cool Greg! :cool:

That's very creative dude! It's like being in the studio with you as you record. And all on the fly!
    That Suhr has some very nice sounding tones too.

6. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    That was pretty crazy!

7. Just outstanding. The bass as well as the clip. Awesome, Greg. Thank you!

So, I'm on an absolute totally ridiculous retro vibe these days, chasing everything 60's Jazz. This offers nothing in the way of temptation resistance. What a bass. I will say just one thing, though...

Cough. Needs a Tort guard. /Cough.

:ninja: :D

8. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Between my Roscoe and Leather
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft
    That right there is as funky as some dirty underoos:bag:.

Great job man.

:D

God Bless, Ray

9. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Thanks, guys!

Thanks, Jerry! Free tort PG, on the house. And you can keep the white one, too. :D:D

10. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Couldn't agree more... :bag:

11. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Free BLACK PG, on the house. You can even keep the white one. :D:D:D:D

12. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Eventually he'll be swimming in pickguards! :D :hyper:

13. Pick guards. Don't get me started. I'm hopeless. :D For my Lull J-basses I've got all varieties. I am totally worse than a woman in a shoe store. :ninja: That said, I do have a few "musts"... 3TB + rosewood board = tort guard. Same for oly white/rosewood. Finally, the other side of that coin: maple board = anything but a tort guard. See...toldya I was hopeless.

FWIW, all four Lull J basses are currently wearing pearl guards. Even the 3TB one, which is likely considered blasphemous in traditional circles. :)

4958093019_2cd3b53afd_z.jpg

Sorry for the hijack. This bass. Wow. The funny thing is I was at my local store just yesterday talking about a 60's J, alder/rosewood, 3TB/tort. I'm so Jonesin' for something like this. Hopefully it sells soon. Really soon.

14. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Honestly? I would put a black guard on every one of them..... :ninja:

Well, maybe mirror on the blue one... :bag:

All are lovely, though!

15. Another FWIW, the closest I can currently get to this Suhr bass is with my sherwood green Lull four-stringer. (It does look blue in that pic above...sorry about that.)

Lull M4V sample clip

I offer it here to demonstrate, by comparison, just how awesome this Suhr sounds. And also, by comparison, just how much better Greg's clips are produced than my weaksauce "hit record and hope" efforts. ;)

16. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Great clip, Jerry! That's a GREAT j-bass tone, fer sher. Sounds right at home on the Jackson 5! Love it.

It's hard to put the tonal differences into words, but I do hear some slight differences. Would you say yours has a bit more bite (or maybe punch), and the Suhr is just a little smoother? Where's Ken when we need him? Of course, he'd probably just say that they both sound like a$$ compared to his AC :)

What a trip to be hearing each other's voices from both ends of the country. Cool [del]Friday[/del] Saturday night!

17. Greg so nice, sounds great, no 2300+ or it would be mine. Love the loop action, very cool!

18. You know, Greg, I think some of the differences are on the other side of the bass. I was running into a GB Shuttle 6.0-12T (not even using a Lava cable :rolleyes:) captured by a cheapo tee-mic on a portable recorder. Basically, you passed my Yugo, smiling from the driver's seat of your Cadillac. :D That said, that Suhr...to my ears...captures a lot of "the" 60's J essence, particularly in the grind of the upper mids. It'd be a blast to A/B the instruments at the same time.

Ok, just checking here...it is Saturday in Blacksburg, right? :ninja: :D Regardless, what are two freakishly hip cats like us doing playing on laptops at home, instead of gigging? :)

19. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    You had me at "hello"? I'm so ronery, Jerry.

20. ^ Reason #1,416 TB needs a "ROTFL" emoticon. :D Just awesome, Greg. Two cats with wives out of town, and no gigs on the books. Too bad 3,000 miles are separating us from an evening of laughter and bass talk. We could pick up Gard on the way to the pub and have Bill and Ray on-call with the bail money.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021