Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Arrival!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rojo412, Dec 17, 2000.

1. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I got a new bass today! It's a Conklin GT-7 with a beautiful quilted top. It rules!

My only problem is deciding how to tune it. Well, that and it needs a fret dressing and intonation. But other than that, it rules! I'm so happy...

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    rojo412 ~ Congrats on the new 7! :D You probably know
    you can tune `em either B-E-A-D-G-C-F or F#-B-E-A-D-G-C.
    For that low F#, you'll need somethin' like a .150" string.
    Also, probably old news, JT (John Turner) is MR Conklin here
    and can probably help out.

I've posted this elsewhere, but here it is again. It's
    Bill (The Buddha) Dickens site. There are samples of his
    playin a 7: http://www.billthebuddhadickens.com/

Shaker Heights huh? I'm originally from up around Ashtabula ;) .

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    congrats rojo, i know you've been talking about getting one for a while now. glad to see you finally got it.

welcome to the darkside :D

4. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I have it tuned BEADGBE for now, but I'm experimenting.
    The fret job and intonation will probably be something our house tech can do for me pretty cheap.

But there seems to be a problem not addressed (and maybe you can shed some light JT)... The preamp is a circuit board. Any adding of knobs seems impossible. If I want to get a Bart NTMB preamp in there, do I have to gut it? Also, it's a bit noisy. The shield job looked okay, but it may need more.

(And "Dude, Where's My Car?" was funny as hell.)

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    if you want to do a full ntmb on the bass, you'll need to add a hole for the pot. then you could just replace the whole preamp with the ntmb.

bartolini also makes a midrange only preamp that you could add with the present bass and treble preamp. i would replace the existing with the ntmb preamp.

6. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Have you seen the inside of the cavity? The pots are built into the form-fitting preamp. I don't know what can be switched or not.
    Also, about the NTMB: Modulus basses use them and have 4 knobs- B/T concentric, mid sweep, volume, and pan. Is that normal or a custom modulus thing? It sounds really nice now, but how much will it cost (do you think) to get it to sound AWESOME?