1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New ASAT 3 Bolt Strap Extender Thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hifibass, Aug 17, 2012.

1. hifibass

hifibass

Feb 4, 2008
    Albany, NY
    I realize that this is a fairly limited audience but I figured I'll give this a shot and see where it goes. After purchasing my used ASAT (a beauty) I realized that the neck dive, prevalent with the design, would limit it's use. I did the research, conversed with Asatman, who formerly built an ASAT Strap Extender and searched TalkBass and Ebay for a used one. I've given up looking for one and decided to make my own, with a couple of mods.

First, I decided to manufacturer it from 14 gauge Stainless Steel instead of thicker aluminum. This is a LOT harder to work with but is the same gauge as the stock cold-rolled steel neck-plate, stiffer, can use the stock mounting screws and is corrosion resistant.

Next, I added a little more "meat" to where the extender arm meets the neck-plate. This, I believe, adds a little security if the bass were to receive a lot of rough treatment. I haven't heard of a failure with the original aluminum version but it doesn't cost any more to be safe.

Lastly, I added a bit more area to where the strap button will attach and gave it a little more "shape" that would stylistically set it apart. It will be finished in Textured Black Enamel but I am looking into having them Powder-Coated. The prototype is currently in the shop, it really needs to be cut with a plasma-cutter, but I will post pics once it's done.

If anyone is interested in possibly buying one, please let me know. I'm not certain on a final price but I'm not looking to make anything on these if it's as successful as I think it may be. Ken

2. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    My interest is piqued.

3. hifibass

hifibass

Feb 4, 2008
    Albany, NY
    Anyone that's interested, just post a response here and I'll PM pics to you (or a link) when it's ready. Ken

4. Honestly, I would rather adjust my strap to compensate for neck dive. I usually find a sweet spot where divey basses can hang better, if not as well as a better balanced bass.
    But color me curious as to what the finished project turns up looking like.

5. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I've also been using suede lined straps with some success over the years but these have always lit a bulb.

I'd be interested to see how it turns out.

6. hifibass

hifibass

Feb 4, 2008
    Albany, NY
    Neck dive isn't the only reason that I decided to try this. The stock ASAT strap button is located at the 16th fret, this will be between the 12th and 13th fret and will move the body so the reach isn't as far to the lower frets. I have a torn rotater cuff so the less strain on my shoulder, the better.

7. sscandyman

sscandyman

Aug 20, 2012
    i will buy one as soon as they are available the reach is an issue for my wife

-JT

8. Yes please sign me up. I would love one.

9. gregbackstrom

gregbackstrom Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Tacoma, Washington
    I'd like one of these too. Do you have any available?

10. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

Feb 16, 2011
    South Carolina
    pics!

11. Any updates on this?