New ASAT has to go back!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superfly, Oct 8, 2004.

1. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Ok, if you've read my previous post about the G&L ASAT I bought today for $650 then you know the story. However It has to go back to the store tommorrow. I just noticed that the trussrod hex slot is totally stripped out! Nothing will grab enough to turn the truss rod. The trussrod seems pretty immovable. BUMMER!
    If it has to go back to the factory for repair, how long does something like this take to complete and get back to me? I live in So Cal, so I could take the guitar to the G&L factory myself.

I took back the ASAT. It seems someone (maybe a first owner or the previous guitar tech at the store) had tightened the truss rod so much that it jammed and stripped out the hex slot. It looks like the trussrod nut is way too far into the neck than normal. It won't budge at all. The guitar was sold to me as new with a 60% closeout price. The store offered to give me my money back, or send it in to the factory for repair. Since the store is no longer an authorized dealer, the clerk was going to "fake up" a recipt which was dated to time when the store was an authorized dealer. I though about it for a few hrs, and just went ahead and took the refund.
    Who knows what actually happened to this bass, and I didn't want a bass which is supposedly "new" with this kind of problem already. I know the price was killer, but probably because of the problem.
    Anyway I am going to look at another ASAT today, but this one is a semi-hollow body. Can anyone tell me the pros-cons of a semi-hollow ASAT to a solid body ASAT?
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, it is a pretty easy repair, especially if you can get an easy-out in there, and just screw in a new one. But a factory authorized guy will have to do it for warranty... Shouldn't be long with the factory so near.
  3. You can also cut a slot across the hex with a hacksaw, if you were so inclined. Then just unscrew it with a flathead screwdriver.
  4. tomd03

Oct 8, 2004
    Alberta Canada
    Yeah that's not too big of a problem, it SHOULD be under warrenty if you only got it a few days ago, and if you live in cali i'm pretty sure g&l's factory is in the area, not sure though, and you could just ship er' off there and have her fixed easily.

either that or live with whatever action you're set at right now :/