1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New ASAT's NEw L-2000 6 bolt necks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ojthesimpson, Jan 21, 2005.

1. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    I've not been able to get this one answered. I know these two basses are virtually the same thing (- neck & and look )
    But I've never seen an ASAT with the new 6 bolt neck. Do the current ASAT's have a 6 bolt neck or are they still 3?
    Is this now a difference between the two?
    and while we're at it, what is the difference between the 6 bolt neck and 3 bolt neck?

2. It might be a new ASAT, I thought all ASAT's were three bolt but that may have changed...

The three bolt G&L's had a micro-tilt adjustment and didn't have the stability issues that the Fenders had when they used the three bolt system.

The six bolt had no micro-tilt adjustment.

3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I have read comments from G&L insiders that state that the 6-bolt neck joint was strictly market-driven and that they never had issues with the 3-bolt attachment. Just trying to distance themselves from that prejudice against the old Fender 3-bolt debacle, I guess.

FWIW, I've owned 3-bolt L2000s and currently a 6-bolter. I've never been able to hear a difference, although I think the countersunk/grommet arrangement on the 6-bolt neck looks and feels nicer. After you've owned a few of these (by various manufacturers..Lakland, Sadowsky, new L2000), a neck plate looks and feels kind of "unfinished".

4. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    My six bolt '95 L2500 has the micro tilt. but I think it's a rare bird. It also has a metal plate not the countersunk/grommet arrangement.

5. Really!?!

Maybe a transition bass?

6. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    The early L2500s had the neck plate with 6-bolts, and also a 4+1 headstock arrangement and solid ash bodies. The newer ones have tilia (basswood) backs with ash tops, 3+2 headstock, and no neck plate.

7. I'll have to pull my 4+1 L2500 and look!

8. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    yeah I think it is a transition between the L5500 and L2500. The date stamp on the neck and in the pocket are hard to read. The ink has kind of spread out so it's hard to tell if the last digit is a 5 or a 6. I think it says '95 but my wife thinks it says '96. Yes it is a 4+1 headstock and solid ash.

9. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    [​IMG]

10. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    From what I understand, not all 6 bolt with metal plates had the neck tilt adjustment.
    [​IMG]

11. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    [​IMG]